Thursday, January 9, 2014

You know how you when you get over one hurdle, you leave it behind you assuming it's done with and you'll never see it again?  But it really depends on whether you are running the 400m or 800m! 

A few years ago we left behind obstructive sleep apnea.  I think Emma was almost 3 when she was cleared of OSA, and by cleared I mean declared "borderline".  We said goodbye to the nursing staff that came to the house every night.  We put the CPAP machine at the back of the shelf in the closet, to be brought out one day in the future as a relic of forgotten time.

However, Scott and I have both maintained some concerns about Emma's breathing at night.  There are many instances of her in bed with us or when she first nods off at night and we are still laying with her (we each pray sing and cuddle with one of the kids most nights, until they fall asleep, or it becomes clear that they will not do so while we're there!), when her breathing is more like snoring and there are pauses. 

For example, she came in to us at some point last night and I let her in the bed.  I'm not sure how much sleep I got after that as I tried to ignore the snores and pauses.  I didn't do well at it.  I kept repositioning her, nudging her to breathe as I have many times before. 

With sadness I emailed her pulmonologist this morning.  I don't want to do a sleep study, but I can't ignore it any longer.  There's really no conclusive way to know, but that's the best.

I'll keep you posted!!

No comments: