Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Red alert winds and weather in the UK, Nor'easter storm hitting the North East US - it's going to be an interesting night all around!

Although we only lost power for 8 hours last week, when the freezing rain brought down trees and power lines, some of our friends were out until Saturday!  The heavy wet snow we are expecting tonight (6-10" on top of the still frozen snow from Sunday, and the weeks before) is likely to do the same to already weakened trees.

So, I'm thinking ahead a little!  Tonight, before the storm, I'll give the kids a bath, get all the laundry done.  I'll turn the freezer and fridge to the coldest settings (to increase their longevity in a power outage), prepare some food to be eaten cold, or that can be heated on the gas stove.  Interestingly, in a power outage, we can store food outside to stay fresh!  That is if we didn't have a fox prowling round, apparently got wind of Benjamin!

We're anticipating school will be closed again on Thursday, so I worked Tuesday so I would be off anyway on Thursday!  It's a shame because the snow days they've had are made up with days from spring break, so instead of 6 days, they'll have two before Easter weekend.  Any more, like tomorrow will mean they lose the equivalent time off their summer holidays!

This is the worst winter for snowfall on record I believe, and certainly the most snow I've ever seen!  It's very pretty, but everyone has had enough.

Roll on Spring!

No comments: