Monday, April 21, 2014

Zoo trip

Today was the zoo trip for Emma's entire grade!  12 classes of 24 kindergarteners, all joining many other area schools at the zoo for a couple hours.  Taking the zoo to the zoo!!

The kids were given a list of 30 animals to see if they found them - including a unicorn!  Interestingly Emma had been saying she her favorite animals were flamingoes (!) and unicorns.  Of course I informed her they weren't real, so the inclusion on the list gave her hope, which I happily crushed.

It was both of our first time on an iconic American school bus.

The 30+ minute drive at speed through the city was not what these vehicles were built for and I ended up with slight nausea and a pounding headache, like a bad fairground ride!

Even so, we paired up with friend Mia and her mom to catch as many species as we could.  If it wasn't on the list we sped past!  Not really a pleasurable time, but fun enough!

We saw a mating ritual from a peacock

The dance was interesting and I videoed it!

Emma saw her flamingoes

We saw vampire bats and rattlesnakes!  A little hedgehog

It was quite an experience, but the girls seemed to have fun!

No comments: