Thursday, May 22, 2014

Buy and sell

The older I get the more I'm willing to try new things (I think), and that includes having yard sales!  We did our first one about 18 months ago when it was cold and not the season for it.  We worked hard to price everything and I was schooled in just how ruthless yard sale shoppers can be!

This time our purpose was to raise money to buy a good swing set for the back yard - and they aren't cheap!  We dug out every little thing we could find that was taking up space in the attic, shed or closets.  I'm not sure why, but I am increasingly less sentimental about things just because I've had them for a while.  The kids even went through their toys and selected a lot of things they don't want anymore.

We sold their existing playset and houses, battery powered cars, and so much more.
Scott cleared out old tools and even finally sold the spare wheels from an old car!

We got rid of all the big ticket items, and donated the rest so it didn't come back in to clutter the house.  We raised a good amount of money, but not enough to buy a new swingset, which we learned would be well over a thousand dollars.  So the hunt began to find a used one, that was within our budget but not too beat up!

On Tuesday we found this...

Scott went to see it on Tuesday and there a some pieces that might need replacing, and we'll stain it but in all it will be less than we raised at the yard sake, which is a total win!  The current owner got it for his son when he was 5 and he is now 10 and doesn't use it.  I figure it will get a lot of use from our kids and then we can restore it and sell it on!

This weekend we are going to work on organizing the shed, and then we'll clear a space for the swingset, probably next to the shed here

It's exciting and the kids are going to love having it at home - no need to go to the playground, and hopefully will help them both get more exercise.

No comments: