Now, I'm on the hunt to find her an Elsa costume for singing Let It Go!
At times I worry I'm spoiling her, or creating a self-entitled monster. But most of the time I think I'm just trying to let her flourish and embrace life, because she's 6 and it won't be long before she feels compelled to either suppress her personality to fit in with the crowd, or just wonder if she's good enough, just the way she is.
We experienced a bit of that on Sunday at a birthday party. It wasn't the old-fashioned kind where the kids gather in a home and activities focus on being together. It was at a big "fun place" with lots of different bouncy houses and slides etc. Though it wasn't busy, and maybe because we got in a few minutes late, Emma had a hard time connecting with the other girls, all of whom are in her class at school.
It wasn't so much meanness (all girls can be a little thoughtless when it comes to not including everyone), but she was upset. I reassured her a few times that they would play, and she needed to join in their game instead of trying to lead. But by the end it seemed she was the odd guy out. I hugged her through the tears and said "let's get out of here!"
When we talked about meeting other kids at the conference in July she was concerned they might not want to play with her. I don't think it will be a problem, and I know she will be the one to take them by the hand and say "come play with me" as I've seen her do before. I'm also in touch with many other Moms on the Moebius Moms facebook group, so I won't be so shy!!
No comments:
Post a Comment