Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Knowing when to let go

When I was a kid, my mom probably dreaded hearing the words "is this your daughter?"  She's shy, I am not!!

I hear it myself frequently and I'm always pleasantly surprised, when the person in question goes on to say "she came up to me, and tell me how much you love my nail polish", or "my hair", or "came to see the baby".  

Emma is definitely not shy. She loves to engage in conversation with complete strangers, and is not aggressive necessarily, and always loved to say things positively to people. Yes she does ask some questions, which could be taken either way but I think most people have a tendency to think that a little child is innocent, which she is. 

I find it hard when we are at the pool, for example, because she will approach anyone, especially moms with kids.  I am never sure if they are humoring her, or if they enjoy the company. 

I need to find a balance because I don't want to wash her wonderful outgoing personality, and friendliness.  But it's close because I worry so much about what other people think, that I tell her to pull back.  

No comments: