Tuesday, August 5, 2014

All things have purpose

Everything happens for a reason, and maybe if you don't believe that, you can agree that most situations can be used to learn lessons.  Today was a culmination of things.

Before we left for the pool, the kids were all "sun-screamed" (Toby's hybrid of sunscreen and sun cream!) and in the kitchen while I got a few things together.  Next thing I hear crying, and as I approach Emma comes towards me, eyes red and says "Toby made me spray sunscreen in my eyes!"

There was no split second needed for me to know that this was twice as bad since Emma does not have the reflex to blink when something approaches her eyes.  I have since concluded that she may have turned her head on contact, as it would not have felt pleasant.  Indeed, her eye balls looked pretty red and she complained it hurt.

Showing remarkable restraint, I [only verbally] flipped out and grabbed some paper towels to sponge her eyes with water.  Somewhere in the back of my mind, whenever "put drops in" came up I knew that mixing chemicals would likely be worse!  So I continued with water, and Emma cried - concerned that I was mad, which I was, and because I was yelling at Toby to go and sit in time out on the stairs.

We have a rule in our house, that if you tell someone to do something that you know will get them in trouble, you are equally, if not more culpable for the foolishness.  Since Emma was dealing with direct consequences (and my groanings of "you could have blinded yourself"), I knew time out was not necessary for her.

Toby was astounded to learn that we were still going to the pool, despite the complete idiocy that they had shown.  That was mainly because to stay home would have been punishment for me given my now gray mood!

At the pool we had a great time with friends.  It was hot, water felt great, blah blah.  Emma saw a new friend of hers, with some other girls we didn't know.  Emma took off her snorkel mask to say "hi" and that's when the longest hanging booger came out of her nose!  Now looking like a drowned rat is never flattering, but add to it that grossness and I think I saw the other girls physically recoil.  It broke my heart.  Emma is so oblivious to the image she portrays, and I desperately want to protect that innocence, but still want her to have a little street smarts!

Later, as we waited in line for an attraction at a town event that was taking place near the pool I observed a little girl staring at Emma.  She looked fairly expressionless but I was not liking the way she was staring like Emma had two heads!  Look how "normal" she looked...
Eventually I had to intervene (though Emma was oblivious, it was just rude!) and saying "hi" did not work, so I waved at her and said "hi".  Only then was she able to turn away.  Again, broke my heart.

Anyway, later on as I put her to bed (here's where it all comes together!) we were talking about making mistakes, and making stupid choices (yes, I called her actions "stupid" though we never use the word, it was appropriate to describe her utter foolishness!).  She asked me if I had ever made mistakes!  Love her, she actually thinks I'm flawless.  Well, maybe not since she was able to suggest a couple things as I pondered it n my head!

What I chose to tell her was that when I was a girl, I made the mistake of staying friends with girls who were mean to me, because I was scared I would not have any friends.  I did not want to be lonely.  I went on to explain that I didn't understand that even without those friends, I would find others, and even still, I had my family and Jesus.  

Emma responded with a "bible point" that was similar to ones she learned in Vacation Bible School last week.  She said "even when you don't have friends...Jesus loves you!"

Most adults don't seem to realize that that kind of understanding is the very heart of God.  He longs for us to realize that when everything else is in ruins, He loves us - and that is more than enough.  That is everything.  Often, when life is so good we don't have tough times, we have no need to consider what we are left with when all the people are gone, when all our stuff disappears and we have not been perfect.

Jesus loves you.  

~ one proud mom.

No comments: