Saturday, August 9, 2014

Getting clean

Anyone who's known me for a while will tell you I have never been a healthy eater, and definitely not a veggie fan.  However for the longest time I've wanted to lose weight and be healthier.  Last summer I started exercising, intensely, and though I've taken a break the past couple of months it's still on my radar!  But I realized that to lose weight I really needed to address my diet.

There are many options out there that seem like a quick fix, but usually cost an arm and a leg!  I was tempted to push our budget to try one, but then came the issue of Emma having restless legs and low iron.  We all need to eat healthier, and maybe that will help with the iron issue too.

I have a friend (Sabrina, the mom of Toby's girlfriend!) who is an experienced healthy eater.  When the doctors failed to help her cancer with traditional medicine, she went to a doctor who took her off meat and dairy, to clean eating.  Sounds like a fad, but there is a lot of wisdom in eating fruit and vegetables rather than all the processed food we've accepted as normal.  In fact when you try to avoid it you see how much there is!

So I've been giving the kids salad, spinach, sweet potatoes and fruit instead of fries, pizza, pasta and other stuff.  They are still eating some of their favorites, but where I can, I'm switching it out.

Check out my kitchen...


I'm seriously trying to figure out how to plant a garden!

And I've gone a step further to help me with the things I don't like to eat - juicing!  Intense extraction of the juice and most nutrients from produce, mixed into a drink.  And it's really good!  If you've never had fresh apple and carrot juice, you're missing out!

Check out this that I just made...



I've never ever eaten a beet (beetroot if you're British!), but now I've drank one!  And since I have a sweet tooth, I can bring everything to a sweeter note.

I'm really excited about being healthier, teaching the kids not to be scared of things and maybe, just maybe losing some weight.  Even if I indulge occasionally, my whole body will be healthier!

No comments: