I'm starting to think that we give 'faith' too much credit. We often say things like "my faith got me through this" or "without my faith I am nowhere".
The thing is that faith, alone, is just positive thinking. You can put your faith in a banana for financial prosperity, you can put your faith in a "wishing boot" (if you saw SNL last night!), you can even put your faith in words on a page, but that alone does not do anything.
Faith needs to be put in a place that has the power to deliver on what you are believing for.
My faith is empty without Jesus Christ. It is Jesus Christ who has brought me through deep valleys. It is Jesus Christ who has lifted me up to places of great joy, and it is Jesus Christ who gives me peace in troubled times. It is Jesus Christ who has forgiven my sins and will vouch for me in front of the Father on judgement day.
When I am without faith, when I fall, fail and forget, he is FAITHFUL TO ME. Jesus does not turn his back on me when I go my own way or make a bad decision - when my faith is too weak to trust that God will provide in his way, in his time. Jesus stays with me, like a good friend, a loving parent, like a patient husband who loves unconditionally.
There may be times that, in my humanity I am unable to see the big picture, the light at the end of the tunnel. I fear, I doubt, I worry. But when my faith is weak, he is still God. He continues to love me, lead me and forgive me.
My faith is the conduit through which God's power flows into me. When I have little faith, I struggle more. When I have my eyes fixed on Jesus, on his purpose for my life, and the lives of those I love, when I remember that God is GOOD, God is merciful and above all, God is in control, I am filled with awe, and peace and trust.
Like a child who can be soothed with the words "It's ok, I'm here" from their mommy or daddy. So too does my faith allow me to grasp the power of the presence of my Heavenly Father.
Faith is important, but without the source of power behind it, it is nothing more than positive thinking.
No comments:
Post a Comment