First, I have heard of Weight Watchers (even gone to some meetings before), knew people who had been transformed by it, but never before decided that it was the path for me.
Much like Christianity! I grew up hearing about it, the bible stories, Easter and Christmas, but never saw how it was relevant for me. Then I met people who had been transformed by following Jesus, and I decided I should try it.
So just like that, I started. You don't lose weight to go to weight watchers, and you don't become "good" to follow Jesus! Healthy people don't need a doctor (that's actually scripture!)!!
I have tried to transform my relationship with food (it's not like you can quit eating, like booze or drugs), but was still struggling. I tried to find the purpose of my life myself too, hunting for a suitable husband, getting a house, making all the right moves - to no avail!
Like most things that involve change, it is impossible to get lasting effects without the support and encouragement of others.
I got up early one weekend morning, and headed to a meeting. I was not dragged there, I was nervous, but I knew I wanted more in life and my way was not cutting it. I needed to seek guidance and support.
I chose to surrender myself, my freedom (or maybe we should say hedonism), and subject myself to the plan that was created but is deemed to be the way.
Clearly here I could be talking about church or WW, but I feel I should point out that the difference between God's plan of salvation, and the WW plan is immense! One was created out of love, by the Holy God of the universe, and is the only way for all of mankind. The other is a lifestyle plan for eating that may not work for all people. Kinda obvious, but just in case!
So here is the topic of surrender. It is so often deemed a negative phrase, but in order to truly benefit from someone else's plan, you can't change the details to your own plan, then it is no longer the plan you want to follow!
And so it is with WW that I freely chose to eat whatever I want, while adhering to the tracking of the food and staying within the points range assigned to me. It's not easy, and doesn't always feel good to say "no" to things I have always enjoyed, however, it is liberating to believe that my choices are in my hands and I can make the right ones.
Likewise, following Christ and his plan for my life is not always easy. Much of the world actually pulls in the other direction. Our culture calls for "me first" and success is measured in much different way than God. In fact God is not at all interested in worldly achievement. His goal, before our pleasure, comfort or prosperity, is his purpose. When we seek to stay within his guidance boundaries, saying "no" to the things that will distract or destroy, we are liberated to become who we were meant to be - and that brings peace, joy and His presence. (*Note: I said "seek" not "do", because we are all fallible people and will never perfectly stay on the right path! See Moses, Abraham and David!)
This might seem like a stretch, but I promise you, it's not an intentional comparison! There are so many parallels to this journey, but it goes without saying that there is no purpose, no fruit, and no future to be had without Christ. Being overweight? That I could live with!
Likewise, following Christ and his plan for my life is not always easy. Much of the world actually pulls in the other direction. Our culture calls for "me first" and success is measured in much different way than God. In fact God is not at all interested in worldly achievement. His goal, before our pleasure, comfort or prosperity, is his purpose. When we seek to stay within his guidance boundaries, saying "no" to the things that will distract or destroy, we are liberated to become who we were meant to be - and that brings peace, joy and His presence. (*Note: I said "seek" not "do", because we are all fallible people and will never perfectly stay on the right path! See Moses, Abraham and David!)
This might seem like a stretch, but I promise you, it's not an intentional comparison! There are so many parallels to this journey, but it goes without saying that there is no purpose, no fruit, and no future to be had without Christ. Being overweight? That I could live with!
No comments:
Post a Comment