Sunday, April 26, 2015

Growing old gracefully

Well, another year older, and hopefully wiser.




How to celebrate this 36th year?  Well, I opted to have a quiet backyard hangout with a few friends on Saturday night, and had Scott hang up a cheap dartboard outside, and set up the fire pit for making s'mores (roasted marshmallow and chocolate between two crackers).

Since the kids were quite upset about not getting to roast marshmallows we decided to have the family over on Sunday night too!  So Scott's parents, sister Kim (plus boyfriend Derek), nephew Josiah and a couple of our friends came over.




And since I opted for s'mores instead of a cake (because there's cake at every party!), I let everyone forget to sing to me - but they remembered when there was one marshmallow left.  Scott also altered Emma's 7 candle for me to blow out!

The older I get the more I feel that time is the most precious gift you can give someone, or get.  I was excited to have dinner with one of my best friends last Saturday, lunch with another dear friend on Saturday and two backyard parties with family and friends.  

I also find I increasingly miss the chance to spend such times with my family, especially as our kids get older, but we are holding on to hope of visiting in the not too distant future.  We'll have to pack a few years worth of memories into a short space of time again!

Two weeks and it will be Mother's Day, which is almost like a second birthday!  Then our 9th (!!!) wedding anniversary, before Father's Day and Scott's birthday, all in two months!  This is definitely a celebration of us!

No comments: