Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Round 2

A few weeks ago I mentioned that Emma had been evaluated (round 1 of 3) for the giftedness program at school.  It's part of the special education program, making sure kids are getting the full level of education for them. 

As part of round 2 we had to complete a questionnaire, which I did, but had a hard time remembering specific accounts of things.  But, sent it back.

Yesterday I got a call from the school psychologist.  She explained to me that in round 1, Emma had needed a score of 5/6, but actually only achieved 4/6.  She had not qualified, but some people "higher up" decided that her results may have been skewed because of her existing diagnosis, and she was instructed to test her on round 2. 

On this round, which was one on one, Emma needed to hit 5 markers, and actually got 7!  In reading she was in the 98th percentile and for maths in the 99th percentile.  So, she qualifies to move on to round 3 which is an actual IQ test, and that will be done when she starts second grade.

It's funny because on one hand it feels almost like we should be willing her to do well, like it's an exam!  But in reality it's just a measure of where she is and what she needs. 

We haven't really told her anything about it, I'm sure she would feel the need to tell everyone and things like this aren't always celebrated by others!  In the meantime, I'll have to make sure she doesn't forget everything she learned in first grade over the summer!!

No comments: