Since I was in the fast lane (yes, going fast!) I pulled onto the hard shoulder next to me. I got out and walked round only to see the tire dead flat.
Not as clear in this picture because the car was on a jack!
I didn't panic but I did freak out a little! I only had 1/8 of a tank of fuel, 8% battery on my phone (despite it being plugged in all morning!) and I needed to pee!!
I called Scott of course, who told me to call our roadside assistance. I knew that and already had my card out! I just needed him to calm me down, which he does like a skilled lion tamer!!
I called, and after about 8 minutes of machine prompts increasingly pumped my blood pressure I got a person, in Texas who took at least five minutes to figure out where I was (um, next to the international airport! How hard could that be?) before telling me I was not in her zone and transferring me (but not my details) to someone else. After 20 minutes sitting next to whizzing traffic I got a text someone would be there in 38 minutes.
I kept the car idling to Charge the phone, but didn't want to use the AC and waste power so I drove forward about 30' to under an overpass, in the shade.
I know I should know how to change a tire, but given the proximity to traffic and having paid for roadside assistance, I would not have done it!
I soon got a call from the repair guy asking me exactly where I was because he thought he could get there in 15 minutes, and he did! Very friendly and professional, he put me at ease.
As he freed the spare from under the middle of the car, I took a look closer at the wheel:
I soon was back on the road and carefully made my way to our mechanic who put on four new tires - coincidentally I was planning to get new ones this weekend!I didn't get to run my errands, but I was safe and that's the main thing!


No comments:
Post a Comment