So, Emma's awesome teacher got back to me today regarding the lunch room thing. This was her email:
"Thank you for letting me know about this.
Both the guidance counselor and I spoke with the aide in the cafeteria about the comment that was made to Emma. The aide was so upset about it! She feels awful and would like to apologize to Emma if that is okay with you.
We then spoke to all of the cafeteria/playground aides and distributed your letter.
We read a poem in class today called Smile and Emma shared with the class that she could not smile and why. I then asked her if she wanted to tell the class about Moebius Syndrome. She said that she did but not at that moment. I think she was caught off guard. If this is something she would like to talk with the class about, please let me know."
So, that's good. I was interested to know what Emma told the class, and what the poem was, so I asked the teacher. She said:"Thank you for letting me know about this.
Both the guidance counselor and I spoke with the aide in the cafeteria about the comment that was made to Emma. The aide was so upset about it! She feels awful and would like to apologize to Emma if that is okay with you.
We then spoke to all of the cafeteria/playground aides and distributed your letter.
We read a poem in class today called Smile and Emma shared with the class that she could not smile and why. I then asked her if she wanted to tell the class about Moebius Syndrome. She said that she did but not at that moment. I think she was caught off guard. If this is something she would like to talk with the class about, please let me know."
"After
Emma shared that she couldn’t smile because she had Moebius Syndrome,
one of her classmates said, “If I were a doctor, I would find a cure for
that.”
It was the sweetest thing and said in such an innocent, genuine manner. (one of the many reasons I love being a teacher!)"I'm going to see if Em would like me to come in for Moebius Syndrome Awareness Day and we can talk to the class.
No comments:
Post a Comment