I So, we headed to our third therapy session tonight and though we are sharing the hour with another kid (nice at first, now we are just getting gipped for time!) I let the therapist know I wanted more answers on why the left side wasn't moving.
She did all the exercises with Emma and had to admit the left was pretty much lifeless. Then we went to the computer for the electronic exercises and she had both kids do rest rates and then biting rates. Emma's were both even.
The sensors were placed near her lower jaw, so I asked what they were measuring and she said whatever moves there. I suggested that since her jaw is very strong and she has no trouble chewing that it is picking up her massetter.
I asked her to move it to the temple area, which she said wouldn't pick up much since they moved the muscle. Since I can feel the muscle contract with my fingers I knew she was wrong.
Sure enough the right side went from 22 up to 150 when Emma bites down. On the left it went from 15 to 27. (Small satisfaction in that victory, but a good example of how medical people are making this up as they go along, especially when it comes to Moebius.)
Since it was already 8pm and the end of her day we couldn't really talk but she said it's likely it detached. She reminded me we know that is fairly common. True, but facing a second surgery is not bringing me comfort!
The therapist is going to email our surgeons, the main one being out of the country!
I don't know how to process this, and my heart is breaking that Emma might have to go through this again. In the recess of my mind I believe the doctor told me that if this happened they would be able to go in through her mouth, not the scalp, which would presumably be a less difficult recovery.
So thankful for Scott's eternal perspective and strong faith right now. He reminded me that this life is fleeting, and not our ultimate destination. Whatever we endure here, we have new bodies awaiting us! Temporary struggles outweighed by eternal glory.
No comments:
Post a Comment