13 years ago I took a huge step of faith, joining a team from our church, heading to Africa (Namibia to be specific) on a short-term missions trip. I had no idea what to expect, but I felt the call to go. While we were there we tiled the floor of a local church, as well as the floors of a new Bible-training school. It wasn't glamorous, and it was labor intensive, but it was awesome to be able to serve others.
On a personal level, I was able to experience first-hand what God is doing across the world. It was also a pivotal moment in my relationship with Scott, as it was in Africa that God spoke to Scott about our future together.
Since that time we got married, had two amazing children and I have focused on serving God in our local community. Scott has been on several other missions trips, bringing his gifts and skills to missionaries in Africa, Guatemala, and Ecuador.
When our church announced there would be a missions trip this September, the first in several years, to Tijuana, Mexico, both Scott and I were excited and discussed going on the trip together, Logistically, with two children starting a new grade of school a few weeks before the trip, that was not possible, And so, we agreed, I would go and represent our family!
We will spend a week in Tijuana, a border town just south of San Diego, with the team. Our primary purpose will be to continue construction on a feeding center for homeless children in the area. Teams from churches all over the US make trips like this, bringing labor, but also money for materials, and encouragement for the missionaries who have given their life to help reach these children. Additionally, we hope to connect with the children and others involved in the building, extending the love of Christ to them.
The missionaries we will be serving, Art and Joyce Stoneking have been in the region for many years. Scott has served on two teams with them, as they have started a boys home and other facilities for homeless children. I'm excited to meet them and serve them - Scott still quotes Art with nuggets of wisdom!
The cost of this trip is $1,200 per person. Our church will also be raising $10,000 toward building materials that will likely go far beyond what we are able to use in our week long stay.
I would like to invite you to contribute to this Kingdom-building endeavor. If you would like to sponsor me for part of the cost of the trip that would be great. You can also donate money toward the material we will bring to the Stonekings.
Last, but by no means least, please pray! Pray for the work, for our safety on the trip, for the kids and Scott, and anything else you think of!! That is a huge support.
On a personal level, I was able to experience first-hand what God is doing across the world. It was also a pivotal moment in my relationship with Scott, as it was in Africa that God spoke to Scott about our future together.
Since that time we got married, had two amazing children and I have focused on serving God in our local community. Scott has been on several other missions trips, bringing his gifts and skills to missionaries in Africa, Guatemala, and Ecuador.
When our church announced there would be a missions trip this September, the first in several years, to Tijuana, Mexico, both Scott and I were excited and discussed going on the trip together, Logistically, with two children starting a new grade of school a few weeks before the trip, that was not possible, And so, we agreed, I would go and represent our family!
We will spend a week in Tijuana, a border town just south of San Diego, with the team. Our primary purpose will be to continue construction on a feeding center for homeless children in the area. Teams from churches all over the US make trips like this, bringing labor, but also money for materials, and encouragement for the missionaries who have given their life to help reach these children. Additionally, we hope to connect with the children and others involved in the building, extending the love of Christ to them.
The missionaries we will be serving, Art and Joyce Stoneking have been in the region for many years. Scott has served on two teams with them, as they have started a boys home and other facilities for homeless children. I'm excited to meet them and serve them - Scott still quotes Art with nuggets of wisdom!
The cost of this trip is $1,200 per person. Our church will also be raising $10,000 toward building materials that will likely go far beyond what we are able to use in our week long stay.
I would like to invite you to contribute to this Kingdom-building endeavor. If you would like to sponsor me for part of the cost of the trip that would be great. You can also donate money toward the material we will bring to the Stonekings.
Last, but by no means least, please pray! Pray for the work, for our safety on the trip, for the kids and Scott, and anything else you think of!! That is a huge support.
No comments:
Post a Comment