Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Live long and prosper

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

It's one of the most loved promises of the Bible.  Especially the word "prosper" which has been seized upon by many.  However so often we overlook the context of the promise:

"When seventy years are completed for Babylon, I will come to you and fulfill my good promise to bring you back to this place. For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back from captivity.  I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the Lord, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." 
Jeremiah 29: 10-14

For the Israelites, the promise of restoration to peace and fruitfulness is given in the context of faithful endurance after 70 years of exile - struggle, and subjugation. 

Note also that the "plans" and "prospering" refer to being restored as God's nation WITH THE INTENTION that this would lead them to once again fully engage in relationship with God.  He directs them to seek him with all their heart, collectively, but also individually.  When they call on him, he will listen to them.  He will reveal himself when they seek earnestly for him.

Firstly, God allowed Israel to be taken into exile, to be subject to the pagan Babylonians.  Why?  Because they were not following God and He loved them too much to allow them to turn their back on him for good, which would lead them to destruction.  This temporary place of suffering was a tool that God employed in his mercy to redirect their path back to him.

Secondly, he had no intention of leaving them in that place, and rather than allow them to believe He would, he gave them a message to clue them in. 

Now, for word "prosper" which is often fixated on!  We need to realize that the treasures of God's Kingdom are not the same as the world's!  God has no need of gold or gems.  He owns it all.  The world is his footstool - real estate is a false reality, since he owns it all.

To prosper in God's Kingdom, the treasure in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal, is beyond the physical.  Jesus frequently references the fruit that believers will bear, when they stay connected to him.

When we are looking for financial prosperity, or career, possessions etc, we miss the very heart of God!  While, in his wisdom, he may grant us these things, we should seek God with all our heart as he alone is to be treasured!  Closeness with God is what we were created for, and is the ultimate reward.

We will prosper in the Kingdom when we receive love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).  And in turn we will often find prosperity in life when we display a character like that!

No comments: