If you could go back in time, to before kids, before marriage, before adulthood, that would be my weekend at my grandparents house!! Seemingly unaffected by the outside world, the house is the same as the one where I spent school holidays and many a wonderful Christmas. And though older, and more frail, my grandparents are the same people who can simultaneously love, encourage and tease you!! There's no pretension, no coddling, just love and honesty!
I'm thankful that I made the decision to visit them at this time. It made me realize how fragile and short life is. With faith and wisdom, Gran said it best, that our days are numbered, all we can do is live our best life!
So whether you are 89, 29 or some other age, don't put off visiting those you love, make amends where applicable, and remember you may not get chance to do it "later"!
What started out as an urgent trip to see my ailing Grandad, soon became a family visit of epic proportions. I didn't get to see everyone, but for 6 days, a lot was packed in.
It is definitely hard to see family once a year only, so I'm thankful especially to Scott who didn't hesitate to let me go, and hold down the fort back here, all with a nasty cold!! My home is wherever he is, happily, and without regret.
I took a LOT of pictures on this trip, which I'll share in the coming days. Pictures of people, but also some of the things that evoke simple memories of days gone by!

No comments:
Post a Comment