After my appendectomy in 2013 I was prescribed Percocets for pain management. I only took them a couple of times bc we are super wary of addictive meds. I remember the one time I took them, I had been in quite a lot of pain that day and we were going out, so I wanted to feel more comfortable. I think I took a half pill. What I remember feeling, and why I didn't bother taking them again, was that the pain didn't really subside, rather my feelings were elevated and I just didn't care so much about the pain!
Scott once said to me that to mask the pain this way is not good because pain lets you know something is wrong, and you need to rest or get help! (He's so wise!)
There are many ways we try and mask pain in our life, but just like in my experience, the masking only deluded me into thinking it didn't matter, for a short while. The underlying cause of the pain remains, and if we are not careful, we will find ourselves in an addictive cycle of masking pain, rather than addressing the underlying cause.
It didn't stop me comfort eating at times, or comfort shopping! Or burying myself in a busy schedule, or trying to do enough good things to outweigh whatever was causing me internal pain.
It is my experience that when one really wants to be healed of pain, we must go to the Healer! Only in light of His plan, do we find that there is purpose in the pain, and there is a way through it.
"Come to me, all you who are tired and are carrying heavy loads. I will give you rest. Become my servants and learn from me. I am gentle and free of pride. You will find rest for your souls. Serving me is easy, and my load is light."
Matthew 11:28-30 NIRV
Faith alone does not heal. It is the One in who we place our trust that heals. When we offer our pain to Him, in faith, He replaces it with a lighter load. When we give up trying to control, trying to redeem ourselves, trying to make it all work, He asks us only to serve Him.
He will redeem us, He is in control, all things work through Him. Just follow Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment