Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving Day in the US. The story goes this is in remembrance of the day the pilgrims sat in peace over dinner with the natives. I don't know how accurate this is, (and I'm sure someone will let me know), but now it is much more than that. The one "holiday" that does not really require gifts, cards or other merchandise. Instead the tradition now is to spend the day with family and ponder on what you have to be thankful for.


We are planning on heading to the hospital in the morning for some quality time with our baby girl, and I can't assuredly say that I am most grateful for the precious gift that she is. In little over a week, Emma has lead us on an incredible journey. To say that you feel special when she fixes those big eyes on you would be an understatement. The same goes for the tiny fingers that wrap half round your pinky!

As I have mentioned previously (ad nauseum!) we truly are grateful for the tough parts of this journey. They have forever altered us as people, parents and Christians. To feel even a little closer to becoming the person God wants you to be through the trials of life is a good feeling, even if the emotions are hard.

Scott quoted a speaker at a recent conference who said "everyone wants a testimony, but they don't want to go through the test! You have to 'moan' through a test, to get a testimony!!" How true! It's okay to be upset about things that happen to you, however if you do not try to learn from it and seek the lesson, you may miss the good that can come from it.

Staying upset, and becoming bitter helps no-one less than you, and that is why I re-focus on those things I am thankful for when I am tempted to dwell on the negative of circumstances. (Sometimes with more luck than others!)

Wherever you are this Thanksgiving, even if you're not in the US, I challenge you to know what you are thankful for. It's a great way to start the day!

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-9

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Hiya - I have just seen your note saying that i can post a comment ! I just wanted to say congratulations on the arrival of Emma - she is gorgeous. I have been logging on every day to keep up with how you are all doing and have been thinking of you. You all look really well - keep smiling - you are doing a good job ! Lots of love Kelly

Hey Jude said...

Happy Thanksgiving, I was listen to this song by Disciple. the lyrics are very awesome.

You break the glass
Try to hide your face
Recorded lines that just will not erase
And buried in your loss of innocence
You wonder if you'll find it again

Was I there for the worst of all your pain?
And was I there when your blue skies ran away?
Was I there when the rains were flooding you off of your feet?
Those were my tears falling down for you, falling down for you

I'm the one that you've been looking for
I'm the one that you've been waiting for
I've had my eyes on you ever since you were born
I will love you after the rain falls down
I will love you after the sun goes out
I'll have my eyes on you after the world is no more

Did I arrange the light of your first day?
Did I create the rhythm your heart makes?
Could you believe when your candle starts to fade
I want to be the one that you believe
Could take it all away, take your heart away

I'm the one that you've been looking for
I'm the one that you've been waiting for
I've had my eyes on you ever since you were born
I will love you after the rain falls down
I will love you after the sun goes out
I'll have my eyes on you after the world is no more

Isn't my life a clear sign
Since I have crossed over this chasm
To fill the space between me and you
And I will do it all over again
Just look for me, just wait for me
The one you've been looking for
The one you've been waiting for
You won't have to look anymore

I'm the one that you've been looking for
I'm the one that you've been waiting for
I've had my eyes on you ever since you were born
I will love you after the rain falls down
I will love you after the sun goes out
I'll have my eyes on you after the world is no more

The one you've been looking for
The one you've been waiting for