Sunday, November 25, 2007

Is it Monday yet?

What a day! If I'd known what was coming I'd have stayed in bed!

First let me say Emma is doing great! She is super-cute and is ready for surgery tomorrow. The site is still pretty red but apparently that is okay.

We did find out this week that rather than one surgery, it could take 3 or more. this is because she has a 2" hole in her belly and closing that in one go would put incredible pressure on her lungs, not to mention the skin. Therefore they will close it a bit and put on a patch. They will then do staged closings until she's all sewn up.

We don't have the time of surgery yet, but I will be there when she comes back.

So what made today so bad? We spent the afternoon in the ER! This was my first trip and I can say it's pretty similar to "ER" except they don't seem to move as fast in real life!

Why? After pumping at Emma's bedside around noon I was suddenly overcome with shaking and chills (a fever, I hear you cry!!). Well yes, accompanied by excruciating pain in one of my mammary glands! I was diagnosed with mastitis, which I have to tell you is worse than the labor pains I felt before the epidural!

So I'm now on antibiotics and pain meds to clean it up.

It was not a total surprise, the pain was building for a few days, but I was most annoyed that our afternoon with Emma was spoiled! We did go back for a few minutes before coming home to pray over her and because, well I just want to be with her!

Her nurse this weekend has been Denise, who has the biggest personality we've met and I trust her implicitly with Emma. She's been doing this job for 19 years and nothing phases her. Not to mention she loves Emma.

No comments: