This morning I called the hospital to see how Emma was doing. She'd had a good night and sounded happy. We went to church pleased. (More about this weeks message on Tuesday!!)
Following church we headed down town to see the baby. On the way the nurse practitioner (head nurse) called to say they had to stop Emma's feeds because she had had more episodes and threw up more bile. It was nice of them to call so we didn't arrive and wonder what was up. They were doing an x-ray to see if there was anything of concern.
When we did finally get there (after a great lunch provided by a good friend) the doctor on duty soon let us know the x-ray was clear and they would start her up on half feeds, 10ml per hour.
I did suggest to the doctor (again! - different doctors) that maybe they were trying to feed her too much! A friend in Iowa whose daughter had gastroschisis had an experience where it seemed volume played a big part and she had to have IV and milk for a while. They actually sent her daughter home with the IV!
The doctor didn't rule it out and I may pursue it more after the broncoscopy (still not scheduled!!) because when they took her off the canula she was doing fine but deteriorated as they increased the feeds. They keep assuming the episodes are this airway issue.
As I realized during the message today, I have not been taking this day by day lately, but diagnosis by diagnosis! I keep pushing for the next bit of concrete news hoping that we will keep moving forward. The temptation to get angry when we don't get anywhere or move back is great. Thankfully I am not alone and my loving husband is there to balance out my anxiety and me for him! With all those around us praying so hard too, it's clearly the Lord giving me great patience.
Someone asked me this week what I want for Christmas. I answered that I want my baby home! Today the doctor said "well she's not going home anytime soon." before she increased the airflow and oxygen level in the canula, since we have soooo much time to wean her off! Yeah, it pulls at you heart strings, but I know my God can do all things and I leave it on his schedule (most of the time!)
No comments:
Post a Comment