Friday, January 18, 2008

Children's Hospital is 8 miles from our home. That is truly wonderful and we are very grateful to be so close to this wonderful hospital. For those of you who don't know the city that well, it is a grid of streets, with a traffic light on EVERY corner! In the morning driving in is like a video game - you can hit a speed that makes every light green when you get there! However, driving home is a different story and can take an hour, like this evening!! For example, we hit 25 red lights before we were even half way home! I won't lie, it's pretty frustrating.

Sorry, had to vent!

Back to the baby: Emma does seem to be swallowing much better and requires markedly less suction. This is very good. However the episodes continue, I'm not sure if they are less frequent or not. The doctors believe it is reflux and as she is at the maximum for reflux medication they may want to fix it with surgery. That would enable her to come home (once she's feeding right.)

However, she needs to grow, a lot. The past two days she has only gained 10 grams. She needs to gain close to 700 grams before they could do the procedure to help the reflux. I'm sure you can do the math to know how long she would be in hospital at that rate.

A test has revealed that my "hind" milk still has a little too much mid-milk. When measured it was only 27 calories, but should be closer to 40. The fattiest milk is right at the end, so I will need to pump more often but use only the very concentrated milk at the end, so less from each pump.

It's not a lot to ask, and I'll do whatever I need to for Emma. It's just that my head feels like it might explode with all the things to think about! (The sinus headache may be exacerbating the feeling ;-) !!

Please continue to keep us in your prayers.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

you are the best parents ever! keep up the great work...and Deb I know you can do it :)