Sunday, January 20, 2008

A step forward?

We think we have some good news, you know - progress! However I am cautious about getting you too excited!!

Over the weekend Emma gained 80+grams on Friday, 45 grams on Saturday and then lost 60 grams today! As you can imagine we were very excited until we knew about the loss today. I've been trying to keep less milk from the end of each pump, but a busy weekend meant that I couldn't increase the frequency so it is only just that she has enough to eat! Hopefully i can do better this week.

Also, when we arrived today Emma was de-canulized!! (That's a word I made up to say they had removed the canula!!) Basically she had somehow pulled it off her nose in the morning and the nurse did not notice. When she did and realized she'd been fine they took her off completely to see how she did. While we were there she did great, but they put it back on this evening!

I have spoken to her night nurse and he(!) is going to try it again. I did make a push for that because she has always had more episodes at night and I want to know if she needs it at night. If the episodes ARE being caused by reflux I don't understand how the airflow is helping! I look forward to discussing it tomorrow - I'm going in early so I can be there for rounds!

This week Emma will have a new attending neo-natologist, so I look forward to seeing if he has a different take on the course ahead.

Please keep praying for Emma's growth and development. As cute as she is a little extra weight will round out the look!!

No comments: