I did get to spend 2 great hours with Emma, the most interactive I've seen her. As you can see in this picture she was happy laying out, moving her arms and legs, looking straight at me!
Then I held her sitting up which she is getting more comfortable with. Her head still falls back, but she doesn't really let it fall forward. You can also see the button on her chin and the black thread attached to the button at the back of her tongue. They will be removed on January 17. She otherwise looks the same, just as cute!
Her occupational therapist gave her a full massage again and was impressed with how she was relaxed!
Now for the medical talk: they weaned her to 1 liter flow on the regular canula and increased the calories (not volume) of her feeds. However she is having episodes still, but it is clear from spending anytime with her that she is choking on the secretions (gluey mucus in her throat), which she sometimes swallows or coughs, other times they block her airway momentarily.
I called the hospital when I got home to speak with her nurse practitioner and asked them to re-visit the secretions issue that was raised weeks ago. I believe the air flow provides humidity that thins the secretions. Reducing the airflow, which contains actual water, allows them to build up and clog. Of course, I do know I'm just the mum, not a doctor, so I welcome their diagnosis!
"Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him,
for he shields him all day long,
and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders."
Deuteronomy 33:12
No comments:
Post a Comment