Friday, January 11, 2008

Patience, patience!

Remember how I've been learning about patience? I was reminded today!

I met with Emma's attending physician and asked what the next step was. Let me try and lay it out so we're on the same page.

In a week or so the docs will try Emma on Ng feeds, into her stomach. If that goes well they will go from continuously feeding her 20ml an hour gradually, to 60ml in a half hour every 3-4 hours.

If she gains weight, great. She may spit-up and have reflux - if she does not have the heart rate drops because of this we are good to go!

However if in the meantime she does not take to feeding orally they will likely fit her with a G-Tube (nissen) and do another procedure called fundiplication.

Her doctor expects her to be in for another month at least. Then she might need to be 4kg for the g-tube surgery - she is currently 3.2kg, so that could take over 6 weeks if she gains at the expected weight level.

So on the eve of Emma's two month birthday which I had expected her to celebrate at home, we once more have to remember that not in our time, but God's.

No comments: