If ever I could have used extra sleep it would be in preparation for a day like today! Thankfully I was not alone - Kimberly stepped into her role as Godmother and spent the day with Emma and I. So what were we up to?
At 9am we headed to the hospital for an appointment with Dr. B! I had not met this doctor before, but he knew Emma well. This appointment focussed on her g-tube and nutrition, following up for her surgeon. The conclusion: we've been feeding her too much each time and moved back to 125ml per feed, but 6 times a day - that's right, momma's getting up EVERY night! To be honest though that is probably why she wakes up at 2am, hunger.
According to their scale, she is 9lbs 15oz, up from 9lbs 8oz 2 weeks ago. We are due to go back in 6 weeks and see what the situation is then, and in the meantime, I'll be emailing them the weights the pediatrician records.
We also were assigned a nutritionist and hopefully she will speak with Dr. R. so they can reach a consensus on Emma's needs!
Following that we hit Mickey D's for some lunch before visiting the NICU. There weren't many of Emma's nurses, but the ones we saw we love!! ;-)
Then we headed to the School of Nursing. I had been asked to sit on a panel of breastfeeding moms, to share my experience. I guess I am considered in that category. Anyhow, it was me and about 9 moms who are actually breast-feeding!
The stories of cracking, bleeding and pain made me a little relieved to be pump dependent. At the other end of the spectrum one of the moms has 4 kids and still nurses her almost-3 year old! Lets just say the crowd was diverse!
The plan was for us to share a bit about the birth and then our experience breastfeeding. Well, by the last half of the women there was way more detail about the birth and not so much the feeding. Poor Kimberly now knows more than any 12 year old should about childbirth and breastfeeding!
That said, I really enjoyed sharing our story with the nurses, and hopefully helping them to encourage mothers they work with in the future. I guess it brings out the story teller in me!
After two hours in the room with 30 nursing students and 10 opinionated moms (yes, I included me!) we were both pretty exhausted and all we had left to do was get the baby back to the car through the rain! She was covered in the stroller, we were not so lucky!
Tomorrow I will share with you some great blessings that have come to us this week - there's too much to add it to tonight's posting!!
At 9am we headed to the hospital for an appointment with Dr. B! I had not met this doctor before, but he knew Emma well. This appointment focussed on her g-tube and nutrition, following up for her surgeon. The conclusion: we've been feeding her too much each time and moved back to 125ml per feed, but 6 times a day - that's right, momma's getting up EVERY night! To be honest though that is probably why she wakes up at 2am, hunger.
According to their scale, she is 9lbs 15oz, up from 9lbs 8oz 2 weeks ago. We are due to go back in 6 weeks and see what the situation is then, and in the meantime, I'll be emailing them the weights the pediatrician records.
We also were assigned a nutritionist and hopefully she will speak with Dr. R. so they can reach a consensus on Emma's needs!
Following that we hit Mickey D's for some lunch before visiting the NICU. There weren't many of Emma's nurses, but the ones we saw we love!! ;-)
Then we headed to the School of Nursing. I had been asked to sit on a panel of breastfeeding moms, to share my experience. I guess I am considered in that category. Anyhow, it was me and about 9 moms who are actually breast-feeding!
The stories of cracking, bleeding and pain made me a little relieved to be pump dependent. At the other end of the spectrum one of the moms has 4 kids and still nurses her almost-3 year old! Lets just say the crowd was diverse!
The plan was for us to share a bit about the birth and then our experience breastfeeding. Well, by the last half of the women there was way more detail about the birth and not so much the feeding. Poor Kimberly now knows more than any 12 year old should about childbirth and breastfeeding!
That said, I really enjoyed sharing our story with the nurses, and hopefully helping them to encourage mothers they work with in the future. I guess it brings out the story teller in me!
After two hours in the room with 30 nursing students and 10 opinionated moms (yes, I included me!) we were both pretty exhausted and all we had left to do was get the baby back to the car through the rain! She was covered in the stroller, we were not so lucky!
Tomorrow I will share with you some great blessings that have come to us this week - there's too much to add it to tonight's posting!!
1 comment:
looks like i'll have some catchin' up to do when i get back!! it's gonna b different w/o you guys there this year...its ok...Emma's here!! ;)
Post a Comment