Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Love a duck

Emma had a visit from a speech therapist today. She will be working with her once a month, in addition to the physical therapist (gross motor skills) and occupational therapist (fine motor skills). All the therapists were so surprised at how good Emma is doing after her eventful beginnings.

Specifically she said she would not expect much more verbal communication for a baby without the medical challenges. She gave us some things that we can do with Emma to encourage her to "talk" more. One is for me to talk all day, describing everything we do. No problem, I hear you say! Yeah, I'm not that talkative that I find it easy to talk to myself!

Another thing is repeating certain sounds to her, sounds that babies usually make first. They are:
Ba
Be
Bi
Bo
Bu
And then the same vowel arrangement after D, M and N. Each one repeated 5 times and pausing to allow her to respond. Apparently B, D, M and N are the first consonants babies use!

Something else you may not know - Emma loves her duck! Check it out (I don't think it talks back!)




As for Emma's cold, she's still fighting it, but is otherwise much like herself.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debra,
I love the movies! They really show us what you are seeing every day. What incredible and precious memories.
Judy

Taryn said...

I wonder what she is telling the duck. I bet the stories are amazing! She looks so good. Miss you tons :)