Tuesday, May 6, 2008

One down

That's one appointment down, four to go!!

Today Emma and I made it out the house at 7.40 am. I was shooting for 7.30, so that's pretty good! I think Emma was disgruntled because I normally cuddle up with her in bed to try and get her back to sleep. Not today!

While we were waiting to see the doc the team from Fetal Surgery saw us and came over. The doctor that delivered Emma, the ultrasound technician and nurse practitioner who took care of me during the latter stages of pregnancy. We see them on most visits as they are on the same floor.

At every appointment she gets weighed, and for that she has to be naked. To save time I gave up the idea of dressing her in cute outfits, and she goes in an all-in-one with poppers (snaps). She weighed in at 11lbs 12oz, which is 8oz more than last Monday, and the scale was on the low-side the last time she was on it. That's good news, however Dr. R, the pulmonologist (he is the primary doctor with Moebius experience) said she is still not within normal weight range, she should have been packing on the ounces in catch-up weight.

Still, he's not overly worried. Ideally a baby that is born growth-retarded should have caught up by the end of the first year, so she still has 6 months.

Other than that he was really pleased with her. She is developing well and he said she is vocalizing earlier than other Moebius kids he has seen (and they normally come to him at 1 year!).

I may have mentioned before that she does not use her left arm much, and Dr. R. thinks there may be some weakness to it. The arms are not usually affected by Moebius though, so she may have trapped a nerve when she was born, but she should grow out of it and the therapists are working with her on it.

Thankfully we have been cleared to fly, so we should be heading to the UK soon! She won't need oxygen, but her saturation level may drop below 90% as it will drop to 90% for everyone on board! Scott and I will need to be vigilant with the monitor, silencing the alarm that sounds if she drops below 90%!

After our appointment we stopped by the NICU and found that only one of Emma's nurses was working! It was a shame but we visited for a few minutes with the receptionists! Perhaps we'll stop in again tomorrow after our appointments with GI and Neurology!

Right now, Emma's catching up on her missed morning nap and hopefully she'll take another later in the afternoon!

1 comment:

Taryn said...

I'm so proud of her! Keep up the good work Emma!
I'm on vacation until the 15th...sorry I missed you :(