Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Plan B

So we had to stop adding the teaspoon of formula to Emma's milk as she was pooping too often - suggesting she was not absorbing the nutrients. So we have switched to plan b - lipids! Lipids are basically fat in a liquid. We will add 3ml of lipids to every feed which will increase the calories without doing too much to the volume.

Before arranging delivery of a regular supply of lipids, which are expensive, we popped down to the hospital to pick up a few bottles to try out.

While we were there who should we see but Emma's NICU neighbor! That's right, the baby boy who had the room next door the whole time was there for a follow-up. They are a nice family and have far more to deal with than we do.

It was so nice to see them and have a mini reunion! Speaking of which, the fetal surgery department holds a reunion in June for all former patients. We'll be heading to that to catch up with the doctors and people we met (not that I don't see them pretty regularly anyway!!) It will give Scott a chance to meet the new doctors we're seeing and say hi to the others as he doesn't come to the appointments.

I took the opportunity to ask Emma's nutritionist why she's not gaining weight as she should. Turns out that she, and the GI doc are happy with Emma's growth! It's the pulmonologist that feels she should be growing faster.

I'm sure it will work out! As for now I think someone's hungry - and I've already eaten!!

No comments: