Thursday, May 22, 2008

Routine

You read everywhere how important it is to have a consistent routine for your children. We have tried to have that, with bedtimes, baths, naps and feeds etc.

I knew that if Emma doesn't get an afternoon nap then she is a bear to get to sleep in the evening! What I didn't realize was how the entire routine is important - you can't skip a step!!

We usually put Emma in her baby rocker when she is being fed. She gets tired and fussy at the end so I will rock her to sleep. At lunchtime I will then pick her up and put her to bed.

Today, as I have 1000 things to do I thought I would leave her playing on the rug while she was fed and let her sleep there. When she began to get very fussy I picked her up and took her to her crib. She was not down with that!

After a while of screaming (her, not me) I brought her back downstairs. I needed to pump, eat etc but she was not happy. After getting frustrated I put her in the rocker and rocked her to sleep. I'm still debating the move to her bedroom!!

I guess she really does appreciate the routine we have developed!

No comments: