Thursday, June 12, 2008

Emma and I are enjoying a pretty quiet week. Today we had an appointment (for me) in the morning, and on the way Emma threw up! That is the 6th time in two weeks, the second time today! Of course, I called the hospital and her doctor told me to take her feeds back down to 140ml - he thinks that may be her limit right now. To add extra calories her overnight feed will be extended to 8 hours at the same amount.

Babies throw up all the time and I am used to it with our friends children, however when Emma does it it is quite traumatic for me! She does give a warning sound which is the same as when she has wind!! It is quite a game of Russian roulette to know if she'll throw up or not!

If she does throw up again we will be going in for an x-ray to see if the nissen (fundoplication) has come undone!! Keep her in your prayers - I'm sure it's scary for her too.

On a different note, while I was waiting for my appointment (a check-up, nothing more) a woman with a 6 week old (Awww, so tiny!!) asked me how old Emma was. I told her - 7 months, but was hesitant at first to engage in conversation. It wasn't that I didn't want to talk to her, I was actually trying to spare her! When people ask about Emma it always seems to end up with her story, which although it is very encouraging and inspiring for some, it is certainly a little more than small talk - especially for someone with a baby!!

Although, it's pretty hard to hide that something is different when your baby has a tube coming out the bottom of her dress which you have to attach to a syringe as she pushes air and milk out through the tube!! (If you haven't seen us wind Emma that will not make sense!!). I often wonder what people are thinking when they see us.

I do know that they sometimes think she may have something like Down Syndrome, which is probably why I want to tell them, she may be small and a bit floppy, but she doesn't miss a beat!!

No comments: