Thursday, July 31, 2008

Positive Signs

Emma is on the road to recovery. She slept much better last night and woke up full of life this morning, it was 6.30 so I was not so perky, but pleased for her none the less!

I'm also pleased to report that she has not thrown up since Sunday, well maybe once a little bit, but that's still a great improvement!

Emma is changing every day and we see so much progress in her. She loves to clap her hands and rub her feet together at the same time. She then pauses, looking at you, waiting for the praise!! Often she'll do an encore with some waving!

We have been teaching her to reach her arms up when she wants to be picked up and she has reached out for me a couple of times. We are also positioning her on her knees in the hope she'll start crawling! So far she will push herself backwards on her belly, or round in a full circle to get something. Once or twice she's found her way to the edge of the blanket and is playing with the area rug. Does anyone know a good way to clean an area rug?!

It is great to see her sitting up now. Her back is much straighter and she uses her hands more. She will even sit in her stroller and high chair without falling to the side.

Vocally she has started making some new noises that really sound like expressions. I have tried (and failed) to catch them on video, but she goes all quiet when the camera comes out!!

You can put Emma on the floor, surrounded by toys and if the TV is on you bet her eyes will be glued to it! She also waves at it! I confess I do sometimes use it to calm her down or entertain her while I do something else. I am sure that makes me a bad parent, but sometimes you need all the help you can get!

Unfortunately I do not like silence, and not wanting to talk to myself, the TV is often just background noise. When I lived alone it was always on. A therapist would probably have a field day with that!

I have to say this week has been much better than expected, with less sleep. I've really been focussing on the big picture and not little things. When Emma gets cranky I just try my best to comfort her and forget everything else!

No comments: