Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Soapbox

I have come to the conclusion that the world is going mad.

On the news this morning they said that college profs are advocating for lowering the drinking age limit to 18 so kids won't binge drink at college. I guess the logic is that legality breeds maturity.

HELLO!!!

Having grown up in one of the countries where 18 is the age limit I can firmly say that is not the case! My peers were drinking by age 16, and I even joined in occasionally (I was not a fan of the cheap cider and beer that was available!!). By 18 we were hanging out in pubs and "binge drinking" on the weekends.

From Scott's perspective, he was in rehab at 19, 2 years before it was legal for him to drink! Would a lower age limit have prevented this? As he was drinking before 18 I don't see how.

Is no-one thinking about the social and personal consequences that there might be? Drunkeness often leads to violence, and other bad decisions (yes, I'm talking about sex), not to mention the increased likelihood of alcoholism at a young age. Alcohol is also a depressant, which is not good in an age where youth are under so many pressures that lead to depression by themselves!

Whatever your stand on alcohol in general, I feel this is a seperate issue. Our youth are being forced to grow-up much faster than they are able in reality. Why are we even contemplating putting this responsibility on them?

We need to tackle the reasons behind the drunkenness of our youth, not legalize it. What message doess it send - if you ignore the rules long enough they will be changed in your favor?

It makes my heart ache that adults are actually allowing the demand of kids to be allowed to drink to influence their opinion. We don't let 5 year olds tell you what they should be eating!!

As for the Bible, it's very clear in it's instruction for all...

Ephesians 5:18
Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.

Luke 21:34
"Be careful, or your hearts will be weighed down with dissipation, drunkenness and the anxieties of life, and that day will close on you unexpectedly like a trap.

Romans 13:13
Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy.

Galatians 5:19-21
The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Why should you care? Because you have children, grandchildren and friends who need to know that they can destroy their lives trying to fill the void in their hearts with booze.

What they, and everyone else needs to hear is that it's a void God left in each of our hearts that only He can fill, as a homing beacon that would lead us to Him. I can't say it any better than that, it's the story of my life.

1 comment:

Taryn said...

HA yeah they are going to drink if they want to.
I will not be in the city of Philadelphia at all this week. Livin' it up in Delaware...WHOOP WHOOP!