It took 45 minutes to get Emma back to sleep, really asleep. However, a few things were different today.
First of all, as soon as I went in there I gave her Tylenol - she has the fourth top tooth coming in. It's surprisingly easy to forget that there is a reason other than gas and wet diapers for the crying when you are on auto-pilot.
I also told myself that I would just take whatever time was needed to tend to her. I can always go back to bed after - something I could never do before the baby, once up I was awake! I guess it's good that babies teach you to sleep anytime!
This might sound crazy, but Emma is not very needy at all. If you keep her fed and dry she is happy. Maybe that's because she wasn't held a whole lot when she was very young, who knows. So when she is clingy, like now because her teeth hurt, I don't realize that she just wants me! I try to fix the problem and then get her situated. What makes it more complicated is that she wants me to hold her while she stands up!!
I am thankful as I realize that Emma has not been sick really since she came home, and her other teeth came in without much stress. And as we face surgery in the next couple of weeks I am also thankful of this reminder that Emma is not immune to pain.
What a difference it makes to your feelings when you change your thoughts!
First of all, as soon as I went in there I gave her Tylenol - she has the fourth top tooth coming in. It's surprisingly easy to forget that there is a reason other than gas and wet diapers for the crying when you are on auto-pilot.
I also told myself that I would just take whatever time was needed to tend to her. I can always go back to bed after - something I could never do before the baby, once up I was awake! I guess it's good that babies teach you to sleep anytime!
This might sound crazy, but Emma is not very needy at all. If you keep her fed and dry she is happy. Maybe that's because she wasn't held a whole lot when she was very young, who knows. So when she is clingy, like now because her teeth hurt, I don't realize that she just wants me! I try to fix the problem and then get her situated. What makes it more complicated is that she wants me to hold her while she stands up!!
I am thankful as I realize that Emma has not been sick really since she came home, and her other teeth came in without much stress. And as we face surgery in the next couple of weeks I am also thankful of this reminder that Emma is not immune to pain.
What a difference it makes to your feelings when you change your thoughts!
1 comment:
teething is not a barrel of monkeys...I feel for you :(
Post a Comment