Friday, October 31, 2008

Parade

Today we left Emma with Grandma Ellen and headed downtown for the Phillies victory parade. It was quite an experience for someone who has never been to a big parade (unless you include Disney World!) and limited sporting events.

There have been estimate of over 2 million people hitting the streets of the city, so it is no surprise that we waited for over an hour to catch the train, only to see 3 fly by without stopping. We gave up and caught the trolley, and then the subway, (which also turned out to be necessary for the trip home!)

Jeremy gets the best seat in the crowd!


Union workers get a great view, and get paid!!

Kimberly checks things through the bins, while Sammy gets shoulder time!

Cleaning windows has it's advantages.

We were so thrilled to stand in front of city hall, about 15 feet from the edge of the parade route. There was bleachers in front of us, but the parade was on truck beds so we could see the people.


Passing the time...


An office worker misuses his Post-It notes and the crowd goes wild...


I found out later, that the video of the players as they passed was angled to low (at the end of my fully-extended arm!) and I didn't get any of them!!But we saw them in person.

It really is astonishing the adulation that these players were experiencing. I forget where but last week I heard someone say that in Florida and LA sport is something for when the beach is closed, but in Philly it is a religion. They were spot on. (I wonder how different our city would be if the same energy was devoted to God!)

Check out the aftermath...


The trek home was crazy, with 3 small kids in tow I'm amazed we were all still smiling. Tired, but smiling! Maybe next year Emma will get to go to a parade like it!





No comments: