It is great to have Scott home again. I waited up and he found me asleep on the armchair at midnight!
He was very excited to see Emma and he kept sneaking in to see her! (I warned him not to wake her!!) When she did wake up at 4am he kindly went in for me, and she apparently seemed more upset when she saw him! That didn't last long and she was soon laughing away!
I was excited to show him the finished bedroom and he loved it! Thank goodness, I worked hard all week to get it ready. (i'm not posting pictures, but I will say it has a very relaxing color pallette and decor.
After a very long day on Saturday (we stayed up to watch the Phillies until 2am!) we spent the afternoon at home. I took a nap so that I could last for the next Phillies game! They won again, and hopefully will clinch the series tonight!!
We weren't up too late, but when Emma got me up at 2am and again at 3am it was tough. I had a terrible headache, so much so that when she wouldn't stop crying ( I eliminated the problems I could!) I myself started crying. I woke Scott up and he took over. I was feeling better by 4.30am and once again cut off the night feed as it seems to be giving Emma extreme gas. She went back to sleep until 5.45am - perfect!
As you know, we're adding a powder to her milk to add calories, however this slows down the digestion process, which increases the build up of gas in her belly. We also add vitamins to the milk, which has the same effect, compounding the problem.
The added complication for Emma comes from the gastroschisis. According to her doctor it causes "stupid bowel", which is sensitive to the various things we try.
So far we've done the following to increase the calories:
Add formula = diarrhea
Add fat (microlipids) = increased weight, slowed gastric emptying, vomiting
Increased volume = vomiting
Add carbs (polycal) = increased gas, slowed emptying
As you can see, by process of elimination, no-one is really sure what to do, but we have to do something. Emma lost weight at the last weigh in, and since her surgery is likely burning even more calories just trying to breath at night. Sleep is necessary for growth, but is actually making that hardes for Emma!
I admit I've been placing my faith in the doctors for the answer, but that's crazy! Please join me in praying for a solution and wisdom for the doctors. They asked me to add the polycal for at least a week, and then I am going to suggest revisiting the volume issue.
At her age Emma would normally be receiving additional nutrition from solid food, but that is slow going! As for changing from my milk, I don't think that's desired because of all the other benefits of human milk.
He was very excited to see Emma and he kept sneaking in to see her! (I warned him not to wake her!!) When she did wake up at 4am he kindly went in for me, and she apparently seemed more upset when she saw him! That didn't last long and she was soon laughing away!
I was excited to show him the finished bedroom and he loved it! Thank goodness, I worked hard all week to get it ready. (i'm not posting pictures, but I will say it has a very relaxing color pallette and decor.
After a very long day on Saturday (we stayed up to watch the Phillies until 2am!) we spent the afternoon at home. I took a nap so that I could last for the next Phillies game! They won again, and hopefully will clinch the series tonight!!
We weren't up too late, but when Emma got me up at 2am and again at 3am it was tough. I had a terrible headache, so much so that when she wouldn't stop crying ( I eliminated the problems I could!) I myself started crying. I woke Scott up and he took over. I was feeling better by 4.30am and once again cut off the night feed as it seems to be giving Emma extreme gas. She went back to sleep until 5.45am - perfect!
As you know, we're adding a powder to her milk to add calories, however this slows down the digestion process, which increases the build up of gas in her belly. We also add vitamins to the milk, which has the same effect, compounding the problem.
The added complication for Emma comes from the gastroschisis. According to her doctor it causes "stupid bowel", which is sensitive to the various things we try.
So far we've done the following to increase the calories:
Add formula = diarrhea
Add fat (microlipids) = increased weight, slowed gastric emptying, vomiting
Increased volume = vomiting
Add carbs (polycal) = increased gas, slowed emptying
As you can see, by process of elimination, no-one is really sure what to do, but we have to do something. Emma lost weight at the last weigh in, and since her surgery is likely burning even more calories just trying to breath at night. Sleep is necessary for growth, but is actually making that hardes for Emma!
I admit I've been placing my faith in the doctors for the answer, but that's crazy! Please join me in praying for a solution and wisdom for the doctors. They asked me to add the polycal for at least a week, and then I am going to suggest revisiting the volume issue.
At her age Emma would normally be receiving additional nutrition from solid food, but that is slow going! As for changing from my milk, I don't think that's desired because of all the other benefits of human milk.
No comments:
Post a Comment