Saturday, October 25, 2008

Sigh of Relief

Let me just preface this by saying that I, in no way, take credit for the triumphs of today!! I take it all as an answer to prayer. And now for our day...

Emma and I got up at 4.45am and after all we needed to do (finish packing, pump, dress etc) we left the house at 6am! That was a bit later than I hoped but still OK.

We arrived at the airport and I realized I didn't know which terminal or flight number!! So unlike me. It was fine though, and we went straight to the right terminal.

When you take a "lap-child" on Southwest you have to do a full check-in, boo! However, there was no line and the lady gave us our passes for the flight home, YAY!!

Imagine if you will, I had Emma in the stroller and the biggest backpack you can imagine. Approaching the security check I have to do the following:
Take off my shoes
Empty pockets
Take out liquids and milk
Pick up Emma
Fold stroller
Put everything (except Emma) on the conveyor belt!!

And I did, without dropping anything or anyone! Triumph!

On the other side I pay $2.29 for a bottle of water. (Is it me, or should they have to sell it cheap as they won't let you bring it through!) I also bought some crackers, but when I took a bite on the plane I realized it would need to be washed down. Well guess what, you can't pee on a plane if you have a baby with you!! I tried hard not to drink a thing!

Anyway, we ended up sitting next to a couple with a baby at the gate. The mom is a respitory therapist and was sitting behind us on the plane. Something so comforting about having a professional nearby when you're alone with a baby with airway issues!

We boarded the plane and to my shock there were two seats right at the front (extra leg room). We sat down and the guy on the aisle seat was very big, so anyone who sat in the middle would have been squashed between him and a baby. No one did! Woohoo!

There was so much space on the floor I was able to change her diaper (she pooped right after take-off) and even laid her down when she fell asleep!!

We landed after a smooth flight, grabbed a Big Mac and coke [with caffeine, for me] and headed to the hotel. When we arrived I saw a couple of the other families there to see the therapist. One lady I knew from the conference and she offered to watch Emma while I pumped in the bathroom! Sweet!

When we got in to see the therapist she was pleased with Emma's progress and said we don't have to brush her hands anymore, but keep doing her face. I think we might have been doing it too fast, but it is hard to take your time with a fidgety baby!! She won't be back for 3 months, so I guess we'll keep on with that. She did explain a little more to me and said she'd send me details so I'll share that with you later.

Afterward I picked up another coke (sooo tired!!) and got the shuttle back to the airport! Remember that I had the boarding passes - just as well, we were late out and had less than an hour before our flight. Awesome!

I had to pump once more so we headed for the bathroom. I don't know how better to tell you what a good girl Emma is other than to say she sat in her stroller, in the disabled cubicle with me for a good 10 minutes without so much as a peep! And she really had not slept much all day.

I quick grabbed a bag of chips and a cookie (time people! nutrition phooey!) and headed for the plane. This time most people got on before us so I was nervous. Yet, there it was, a front seat next to a woman and small boy! They were cool with us sitting there.

And now for the biggest success of the day - I fed Emma... on the plane... while she was asleep in my arms... by myself. I thank you!!

The little boy next to us was 3 years old and kept saying how cute Emma is and she reminds him of his baby brother at home. He even kept kissing her feet!

We landed about 15 minutes early and got home at 6pm. I gave Emma a bath and put her to bed. I am now just waiting for Scott to get home at last.

There is one last thing that you know has to be God because I can't quite believe it myself. You may have caught it earlier! I put Emma on the floor in a public place. On the plane and in the hotel lobby. She was on a little blanket most of the time, but she was also reaching out for things! I also gave back to her toys that were dropped on the floor (gasp!).

That is huge for me. I don't anticipate doing it every day, but when you are by yourself you have to pick your battles!

I don't think I would have been able to handle today if I had not had this week by myself. I found out that I can do whatever I need to do. That said, I don't know if I'll do it again!!

2 comments:

Christina Vare said...

Your are hardcore, woman! It is amazing how doing things on my own makes me more confident as well. Good for you! Welcome home, Scott!

Christina Schoenrock said...

Go You!