Do you ever have one of those days at work where, even though you do enjoy your job, you wonder if you made the right career move or if there's something you're lacking? Well, I'm having one of those weeks!
I have no regrets about being a mum and I don't wish to return to an office (yet!), but I am having one of those days, well weeks actually. It's like I know in my head the stuff I'm supposed to do, for the most part, but it just doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying so hard to do it right.
Take the sleep issue for example. Emma did sleep yesterday afternoon for all of 30 minutes! Last night Scott put her to bed, awake and she did not make a peep! This morning I tried to have her take a nap. After 45 minutes of screaming, and my own frustration at extreme fatigue (they are tag-teaming me, these children!) I gave up. Thankfully I was off to get a haircut (an unrelated new source of frustration!).
When I came home tried to be more interactive, playing with Emma for a while before we tried nap time again. She fell asleep for 20 minutes in her chair during lunch and I left her hoping she would stay out. No. At 2pm I took her upstairs and she started to cling as she realized what was happening!
I left her in there screaming and busied myself. After about 20 minutes the cries were short and sporadic. After they'd stopped I took a peek...

It's really quite strange, and I didn't feel right just leaving her there. What if she cut off the circulation to her brain, or fell back and hit her head? I went and laid her down, which of course woke her up and she's been crying ever since.
It may take quite a few days of this routine for her to get it, but I am worried. She lost weight last week and the lack of sleep will only contribute more to that.
Te elation at yesterdays progress was short lived as I feel like we're moving backwards with things. I still don't know how to prioritize our time and constantly feel like whatever I should be doing I'm not. I wish I knew where I'd gone wrong.
I have no regrets about being a mum and I don't wish to return to an office (yet!), but I am having one of those days, well weeks actually. It's like I know in my head the stuff I'm supposed to do, for the most part, but it just doesn't seem to be working. I'm trying so hard to do it right.
Take the sleep issue for example. Emma did sleep yesterday afternoon for all of 30 minutes! Last night Scott put her to bed, awake and she did not make a peep! This morning I tried to have her take a nap. After 45 minutes of screaming, and my own frustration at extreme fatigue (they are tag-teaming me, these children!) I gave up. Thankfully I was off to get a haircut (an unrelated new source of frustration!).
When I came home tried to be more interactive, playing with Emma for a while before we tried nap time again. She fell asleep for 20 minutes in her chair during lunch and I left her hoping she would stay out. No. At 2pm I took her upstairs and she started to cling as she realized what was happening!
I left her in there screaming and busied myself. After about 20 minutes the cries were short and sporadic. After they'd stopped I took a peek...
It may take quite a few days of this routine for her to get it, but I am worried. She lost weight last week and the lack of sleep will only contribute more to that.
Te elation at yesterdays progress was short lived as I feel like we're moving backwards with things. I still don't know how to prioritize our time and constantly feel like whatever I should be doing I'm not. I wish I knew where I'd gone wrong.
No comments:
Post a Comment