Friday, March 13, 2009

Sleep saga

The changing nature of a childs sleep pattern continues to drive me to distraction! Just as I figure out the new nap time and adjust, Emma starts playing up at night.

With two nurses and me tending to her from 8pm to 7am our techniques and responses vary. Unfortunately Emma is either confused or manipulating that fact! She has been waking up in the middle of the night and crying out for apparently no reason. Last night she went on for close to an hour.

The two nurses are very different in response. Dorothy is very affectionate and interactive so she will calm Emma, tlak to her for a bit and then get her back to sleep. Beverly, older with 4 grown kids, is more inclined to let her cry it out. that may be the better way, but I can't lay listening to Emma scream that long!

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask God to start providing a manual with each model of child!!

Even though I said I wouldn't get up last night unless called, I got up because she sounded like she was in pain with it. I got her some Tylenol and then tried to get her calm and comfortable. As soon as I left she started up again, so I guess I fell for it!

I know from myself that crying hysterically for a long time is not conducive to a restful sleep, so maybe that's why I am so susceptible.

While I was letting Beverly out Emma woke up, and for some reason I felt that she should totally go back to sleep and tried to work on that. I laid her back down every time she got up crying for about a half hour. And then I thought why shouldn't she get up at 7am.

Of course my frustration shows and rather than a loving hello, Emma gets picked up and brought downstairs without a word. She's just as perky and melting my heart, but I'm so confused on how best to handle the issue, and get consistency with the nurses, otherwise I see this recurring regularly!

2 comments:

Christina Schoenrock said...

Well Deb the nurses have to do what ever it is you want them to do. So even though they have two different ways to handle it which ever one you feel is best for Emma you tell both of them to react to her in that way. Also I know this maybe hard but if you choose the letting her cry response (which is my choice) then turn down the monitor. I know that sounds crazy but the nurse is there. If something serious is going to happen she will come and get you. On your next trip to the bathroom if she is no longer crying turn it back up again. I know you will have your own ways to do it but thought I would make some suggestions.

Christina

Deb said...

Thanks Christina. It may be hard to believe, but I don't have the monitor on at all! I actually wear an earplug to reduce the noise!!

I only hear her when she's really crying hard!

Deb