Saturday, March 14, 2009

Pain in the back!

I had every intention of working out to get in shape after Emma was born, I probably thought I would read more and cook too!! Ah, the naivety of the first-time mother!!

As it turned out the breast-feeding burned enough calories to drop all the weight I'd gained and keep it off. So while I new toning up would be good it wasn't a priority. Big mistake.

In case you didn't know, when a woman is pregnant her expanding uterus shifts her center of gravity and stretches out and weakens your abdominal muscles, changing your posture and putting a strain on your back. In addition, hormonal changes in pregnancy loosen your joints and the ligaments that attach your pelvic bones to your spine. This can make you feel less stable and cause pain when you walk, stand, sit for long periods, roll over in bed, get out of a low chair or the tub, bend, or lift things.

I knew all of this from the first time - it's why we're not supposed to lift heavy things!!

What I didn't realize is that because I did not regain the abdominal strength I had before the back pain would come easier! Add in a 16 month old toddler that can't walk and you have a recipe for some pain!!

It's only been annoying so far, but today I am in constant pain. Don't worry though, I'm getting through it!! Tylenol anyone?!

No comments: