Thursday, April 2, 2009

Absence...

Today was an unusual day for me. I was going to a church seminar from 9am-1pm, and had to leave the house around 7.30am. It has been months (17 to be precise!) since I have had to do something like that (not including flights, vacation etc.).

I didn't sleep great last night, my wrist bothering me more at night than during the day, but I still needed to get up at 6am and shower if I had any chance of getting out on time. Thankfully Emma slept until after I showered and dried my hair.

I tried to be sneaky and brought her into my bed and laid down with her so she'd sleep until Grandma arrived. Apparently I don't do sneaky well and tried to leave her alone too fast. She popped right up and started climbing on my pillows! Graciously accepting defeat I turned the light on, the Disney channel and carried on getting ready.

Downstairs she was pretty clingy, probably knowing I was leaving so I did not get breakfast!

By the time I was ready to leave and she was being read to I stopped to say goodbye. As I crouched down she waved at me (this was not the first time I've gone out!). I also leaned in for a kiss and without having to ask her she obliged me with a sloppy smacker!

I am not entirely sure why but it was heart-wrenching to leave her today. I think because I knew I wouldn't be back until about 2pm, and not easily able to come home if need be. When normally I just go out to run errands or take a break nearby.

I know now that I would have a really hard time doing that even a few days a week to go to work. My hat is off to working mothers, because I'm sure that even if you handle it better, it probably doesn't hurt any less as time goes on.

For me it was a good reminder that being able to stay home with my children is a huge blessing. I'm thankful for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can honestly say that my boys are 1 & 2 and it hasn't gotten any easier. There are days that are better than others, but when I tuck them in at night I have this awful feeling because I know I won't see them until 4pm the next day. I leave the house around 6:30am and they are still sleeping. If one of the boys happen to be up in the morning when I leave Im usually late for work. I get lots of hugs and if its Blake I hear 'Mommy stay home w/me' - that's VERY hard. There will come a day that Im home w/them. Not this year, but hopefully very soon. It is a huge blessing to be able to spend all of your time w/your children. They learn so much from their parents. I love to hear Mom's who appreciate that time!

Have a wonderful weekend!!

Love,
Jen / Waynesboro, PA