We are currently on a 21 day journey of prayer with our youth group. We have a guide book that we all read each day and answer some very thought-provoking questions. Some days have more relevance than others, as everyone is going through different things.
I am a day behind, so tonight I was reading Day 15, yesterdays section. It told a story about a woman who lost her husband in a very sad way on September 10, 2001. Of course the next day the world was changed and many people felt the loss.
It then referred to the night of Maundy Thursday, when Jesus was facing the greatest trial of his life. While we often focus on the physical pain and suffering he endured on the cross, we must also remember he was about to lose his Father, with whom he'd spent eternity in perfect communion. As Jesus was covered with the sins of the world, the Holy Father had to turn away from His Son, and both Jesus and the Father knew a different kind of pain.
The Pray21 book went on to ask about a time in my life when I'd desperately wished someone would rescue me from pain. I can think of two situations that fit this.
The first was when I lived in England. I was very lucky, great family, great friends, lovely home and a good job. But I was so lonely. No matter if I was out with friends or visiting people, I was still alone. Sure, I'd cry by myself, or busy myself so I wouldn't think about it, but it's just a temporary fix.
The truth is, no one person can be there to meet all our needs, or understand all our pain, all the time. Except Jesus. And I cried out to him for rescue. Guess what? He rescued me!! I didn't start an intercontinental journey of soul-searching. He came and got me where I was at. I just had to recognize what He was offering me. Peace, fulfilment, a purpose and a future.
The second time, more recently has been dealing with the pain, or grieving, over the difficulties that Emma has faced and will face. I won't lie, a big part of it is also the difficulties that impact me also (I am human people!!) Thankfully I knew right away that there was no physical rescue for us, but there is one who understands, can comfort us and can give us hope.
You see, as I prayed the prayer from the book I also allowed myself to talk from the heart to God. I shared my most despairing thoughts with Him. And then I listened. I came to understand that my most frustrating and heart-breaking moments are nothing compared to literally watching your child undergo horrific physical pain, anguish, torment (to the point of sweating blood) and knowing that you can not rescue them. Some 2000 years ago God had to allow Jesus to suffer so that he could fulfil His purpose, and in doing so save all those they both love.
As hard as I find it now to see Emma struggle with normal baby stuff like trying to walk and the medical stuff, how hard will it be to see her go through the emotional trials that are to come. I can't rescue her, because she will need to deal with things to come out stronger the other side. I can however watch, pray and be there when she comes to me.
And through it all I now realize that God understands, and is there for me always, to lift up my heart and to give purpose to our lives. This Easter is going to be a special time for me, like never before, as a loving mother and a grateful daughter.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."
I am a day behind, so tonight I was reading Day 15, yesterdays section. It told a story about a woman who lost her husband in a very sad way on September 10, 2001. Of course the next day the world was changed and many people felt the loss.
It then referred to the night of Maundy Thursday, when Jesus was facing the greatest trial of his life. While we often focus on the physical pain and suffering he endured on the cross, we must also remember he was about to lose his Father, with whom he'd spent eternity in perfect communion. As Jesus was covered with the sins of the world, the Holy Father had to turn away from His Son, and both Jesus and the Father knew a different kind of pain.
The Pray21 book went on to ask about a time in my life when I'd desperately wished someone would rescue me from pain. I can think of two situations that fit this.
The first was when I lived in England. I was very lucky, great family, great friends, lovely home and a good job. But I was so lonely. No matter if I was out with friends or visiting people, I was still alone. Sure, I'd cry by myself, or busy myself so I wouldn't think about it, but it's just a temporary fix.
The truth is, no one person can be there to meet all our needs, or understand all our pain, all the time. Except Jesus. And I cried out to him for rescue. Guess what? He rescued me!! I didn't start an intercontinental journey of soul-searching. He came and got me where I was at. I just had to recognize what He was offering me. Peace, fulfilment, a purpose and a future.
The second time, more recently has been dealing with the pain, or grieving, over the difficulties that Emma has faced and will face. I won't lie, a big part of it is also the difficulties that impact me also (I am human people!!) Thankfully I knew right away that there was no physical rescue for us, but there is one who understands, can comfort us and can give us hope.
You see, as I prayed the prayer from the book I also allowed myself to talk from the heart to God. I shared my most despairing thoughts with Him. And then I listened. I came to understand that my most frustrating and heart-breaking moments are nothing compared to literally watching your child undergo horrific physical pain, anguish, torment (to the point of sweating blood) and knowing that you can not rescue them. Some 2000 years ago God had to allow Jesus to suffer so that he could fulfil His purpose, and in doing so save all those they both love.
As hard as I find it now to see Emma struggle with normal baby stuff like trying to walk and the medical stuff, how hard will it be to see her go through the emotional trials that are to come. I can't rescue her, because she will need to deal with things to come out stronger the other side. I can however watch, pray and be there when she comes to me.
And through it all I now realize that God understands, and is there for me always, to lift up my heart and to give purpose to our lives. This Easter is going to be a special time for me, like never before, as a loving mother and a grateful daughter.
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
John 3:16
I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
"Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.
"Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me. I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them."
John 17:20-26
1 comment:
Wow! What incredible insight. You are hearing my friend!
Judy
Post a Comment