Monday, April 20, 2009

Sleep saga - Episode 1

As you may recall (if you've been keeping up with the program!) I vowed to start the 'cry it out' sleep method this Monday. I actually started a bit early by putting her down on Friday afternoon. On Friday she stopped crying within a half hour and woke a couple of times but I left her alone and she fell asleep again.

Emma is not on her CPAP for naps, I decided to take it one step at a time. So she just has the one wire on her foot and that is hooked up to her pulse-ox, so I would know if her SATS or heart rate drops. That little alarm makes it all easier!! (I think I'll use it on the new baby when Emma's not sleeping!!)

Saturday we skipped nap altogether!

Sunday she went down for an afternoon nap and fell asleep again. It took a little longer than Friday, but again I left her alone for at least 2 hours.

Then on Sunday night I realized we were still 'putting her to sleep' in the evening, either by rocking her or reading to her! That was clearly going to void any work done at naptime, so last night she cried herself to sleep as well. I think it was less than a half hour. Unfortunately she went to bed a little late, but we'll try and keep to 7pm during the week at least!

On Monday she was up early as usual and while I told the nurse (the most strict one) to keep away from her when she woke up, Emma convinced her to read to her! What's a mum to do?! Anyway, she was dog tired by 9am so I thought we'd have a morning nap too. She got about 30-40 minutes sleep after the crying. I also got a few minutes before I woke to her crying.

I got her up as I really wanted to make sure the afternoon nap was not too late. I put her down just after 1pm and she was silent by 1.30pm! However she woke periodically until about 3pm, which of course was when the lady arrived to fit her new CPAP mask!! At least I know now that those first couple of hours are just the beginning of the nap! Try again tomorrow.

___________________________

You may wonder what I will be doing with all this free time I should have (when not napping myself!). The answer is simple, playing games! My amazing husband got me a Nintendo DSi for my birthday and I got enough giftcards to buy a range of games! Which ones? I love quizzes and puzzles, so I will be honing my brain activity to a new level of sharpness! ;-)

1 comment:

Christina Vare said...

Good for you! Keep up the tough love! :-D