Friday, April 24, 2009

Sleep saga - Episode 5

Today began at 3.45am when I heard a knock on my bedroom door. Not quite sure if I heard anything Scott confirmed it! I opened up to find the nurse in her coat ready to leave! Something about her neighbors garage burning down.

I didn't question it to much, I just wanted to get the baby monitor and get back to bed! Unfortunately I was not able to go back to sleep really. I had to get up to disconnect the feed pump at 4.30am and at 4.45am I heard the air flow change from the CPAP. A check confirmed the prongs had come out of her nose - I wouldn't have heard it if I'd been really asleep.

When Emma started crying at 5.25am I asked Scott to go and get her back to sleep - he has to get up anyway! He did, so I tried to rest some more. After he went downstairs she started again and I popped in to give her pacifier back, but she saw me!

And so we got up at 5.45am. Awesome!

Around 8.30am I did something I've never done before - I put Emma in her crib so I could take a shower! I've always put her in her exersaucer before as I couldn't stand to hear the crying, but I'm used to it now!! And she even fell asleep for 10 minutes!

After that we went out on some errands. We popped in to the mall for the first time (lots of firsts today!!) and I picked Emma up some big girl sunglasses - she always takes our and tries to put them on!! Here they are...



After lunch I put her down for her nap and she was out cold in less than 5 minutes. It was the same last night! However, as always, she woke up after 30 minutes! She cried and fell asleep again for less than 30 minutes before crying incessantly for an hour.

We really have no problem with her falling asleep, she just won't sleep as long as 'they' say she should! I'm starting to wonder if she just doesn't need more sleep. Here's Emma watching Baby Signing Time after her 'nap' - strapped in to her chair. Does this look like a girl who didn't get enough sleep? She was so excited the whole time!



The sleep techniques are all about getting children to fall asleep, but none of them say what to do if they wake up too early!!

I'll stick to our schedule and leave her in there for a couple of hours, but if after another week she still only sleeps for an hour, I'll get her up after that.

No comments: