I turn 30 tomorrow!! Despite all the twists and turns of the past ten years I still don't really feel like I should be 30!!
Here's a brief (phew!) retrospective of the last 10 years...
20 - Still living at home with my parents, working as an Editorial Secretary and spending most of my money on clothes and going out with friends! My car was my baby - a black Toyota Paseo, sporty and sexy!!
21 - I embark on a one year sabbatical placement to my company's Philadelphia Office. It turned out to be a life changing experience and though I missed the UK I ended up wanting to stay! It was not to be and I came home when my visa expired.
22 - Not quite able to adjust to life with my parents (they had a hard time too!), I bought my sisters house from her and move out on my own. I get my car/baby back and start a new career in advertising sales within the same company. Pretty much back in the old routine.
23 - More of the same.
24 - An unquenchable drive leads me to take a position back in the Philadelphia office. This time indefinitely. I sell the house (ch-ching) and my car (sob!) and schlep all my stuff across the Atlantic for a third time!
Once in Philly it takes a few months to decide which direction to go in. After a few months of partying hard I reconnect with a friend from my last stay who helps me connect with the suburban church she had taken me too once or twice.
Before long I become a Christian. That means, to coin a phrase: You get your past forgiven, you get a purpose for livin', and you get a home in heaven.
In the October of that year a stranger (friend of a friend) agrees to transport me to a bible study, which becomes a regular arrangement. The weekly car ride becomes a great conversational environment and we become friends.
I also changed roles with my company to a permanent job back with my boss from my first trip, and proceed to get a green card. No getting rid of me now!!
25 - I start dating this guy, Scott and it's good, but not great. And then we head to Africa on a missions trip. After I've moved out to the suburbs to be closer to my friends and church, could this relationship go bad and spoil everything? As it turns out, no! Africa proves to be the 'make' of a make or break trip!!
26 - Two days before my 26th birthday, and one day after meeting my parents for the first time on their visit to the US, Scott proposes! Oh, and I'm still working with the same company, doing well.
As time goes on I get more involved in church life. I became a youth leader at some point before now, and worked with Scott on renovating a building to house a new church nearby.
27 - This was a busy year! We got married in May, bought a house in December and got pregnant in March! Somehow in there I had time to work, serve and have fun.
28 - Dominated by a growing belly and proportionately swollen ankles (I'm not even kidding, ask anyone!) the first half of my 28th year was tense as we learned that our daughter faced some medical problems. The second half was frankly tougher as we learned exactly what Emma, and we would face. Yet despite the trials we faced, we experienced the greatest joy of becoming parents, and a faith that was reassuringly strong, and well placed.
29 - After leaving my job before my 29th birthday, this was the first year in 13 years that I have not had any kind of job. However, I have never been so occupied in my life!! Becoming a stay-home mother has changed so much and I am still learning about my strengths and weaknesses. Thankfully God never gives up on helping us grow, and I look forward to seeing just how else my life can be enriched.
Each day offers a new challenge, joy or discovery. On the best days all three!!
Thank you for being a part of my journey. There is not much I would have ever imagined about my life now, especially the good stuff! Writing this blog has been a source of great joy and comfort. I look forward to sharing the future ups and downs!!
Here's a brief (phew!) retrospective of the last 10 years...
20 - Still living at home with my parents, working as an Editorial Secretary and spending most of my money on clothes and going out with friends! My car was my baby - a black Toyota Paseo, sporty and sexy!!
21 - I embark on a one year sabbatical placement to my company's Philadelphia Office. It turned out to be a life changing experience and though I missed the UK I ended up wanting to stay! It was not to be and I came home when my visa expired.
22 - Not quite able to adjust to life with my parents (they had a hard time too!), I bought my sisters house from her and move out on my own. I get my car/baby back and start a new career in advertising sales within the same company. Pretty much back in the old routine.
23 - More of the same.
24 - An unquenchable drive leads me to take a position back in the Philadelphia office. This time indefinitely. I sell the house (ch-ching) and my car (sob!) and schlep all my stuff across the Atlantic for a third time!
Once in Philly it takes a few months to decide which direction to go in. After a few months of partying hard I reconnect with a friend from my last stay who helps me connect with the suburban church she had taken me too once or twice.
Before long I become a Christian. That means, to coin a phrase: You get your past forgiven, you get a purpose for livin', and you get a home in heaven.
In the October of that year a stranger (friend of a friend) agrees to transport me to a bible study, which becomes a regular arrangement. The weekly car ride becomes a great conversational environment and we become friends.
I also changed roles with my company to a permanent job back with my boss from my first trip, and proceed to get a green card. No getting rid of me now!!
25 - I start dating this guy, Scott and it's good, but not great. And then we head to Africa on a missions trip. After I've moved out to the suburbs to be closer to my friends and church, could this relationship go bad and spoil everything? As it turns out, no! Africa proves to be the 'make' of a make or break trip!!
26 - Two days before my 26th birthday, and one day after meeting my parents for the first time on their visit to the US, Scott proposes! Oh, and I'm still working with the same company, doing well.
As time goes on I get more involved in church life. I became a youth leader at some point before now, and worked with Scott on renovating a building to house a new church nearby.
27 - This was a busy year! We got married in May, bought a house in December and got pregnant in March! Somehow in there I had time to work, serve and have fun.
28 - Dominated by a growing belly and proportionately swollen ankles (I'm not even kidding, ask anyone!) the first half of my 28th year was tense as we learned that our daughter faced some medical problems. The second half was frankly tougher as we learned exactly what Emma, and we would face. Yet despite the trials we faced, we experienced the greatest joy of becoming parents, and a faith that was reassuringly strong, and well placed.
29 - After leaving my job before my 29th birthday, this was the first year in 13 years that I have not had any kind of job. However, I have never been so occupied in my life!! Becoming a stay-home mother has changed so much and I am still learning about my strengths and weaknesses. Thankfully God never gives up on helping us grow, and I look forward to seeing just how else my life can be enriched.
Each day offers a new challenge, joy or discovery. On the best days all three!!
Thank you for being a part of my journey. There is not much I would have ever imagined about my life now, especially the good stuff! Writing this blog has been a source of great joy and comfort. I look forward to sharing the future ups and downs!!
1 comment:
i was going 2 save this for 2morow but...
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DEBRAAA!!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YYYOOOUUU!!!
have a happy 30th Debra, ur awesome!! ;)
Post a Comment