Our friend Gina gave birth to a baby boy on Friday, Landon Patrick and we went to visit them tonight. Landon was a whopping 9lbs 8oz, even more impressive because Gina is a tiny woman!
Landon came out sunny-side up like Emma did, and also had to endure the suction machine. Thankfully all is well and he's a cute little guy. Even though he's a big newborn he is of course tiny compared to Emma!
I am very nervous about having our second baby in a few months. When Gina handed me a bottle to feed Landon I was pretty nervous. I fed him for a few moments before trying to burp him. I've done it before with my Godsons, but not for a while, and Landon was not wanting to burp. I admitted I didn't know if I should keep trying or feed him a bit more.
I have an 18 month old daughter, but we've never had to deal with some of the most basic newborn issues, like burping (standard style!), umbilical cord care, etc.
My mind was put at ease somewhat tonight, when we observed Emma's reaction to the baby. Bear in mind she is scared of baby dolls! I didn't hold Landon until about 30 minutes after we got there, by which time Emma had observed the baby in the room. When he was passed to me she didn't even notice, much more inclined to sit on Gina's lap!
After a few minutes Emma came over to me and looked hard at the little person I was holding. I sat on the floor with him so she could get a closer look. Emma stayed back, but didn't back away as she does from dolls.
When she was on the sofa next to us she kneeled up next to me and started to stroke Landon's back! We were all watching and gave the appropriate "oohs" and "ahhs". She hung on me for a little while before getting bored and heading off somewhere else!
Having heard stories of children clinging fearfully to their mothers when they see them with other babies, it was great to know that Emma is handled it so well. I will continue to hope that she will be so loving toward her baby brother!!
Landon came out sunny-side up like Emma did, and also had to endure the suction machine. Thankfully all is well and he's a cute little guy. Even though he's a big newborn he is of course tiny compared to Emma!
I am very nervous about having our second baby in a few months. When Gina handed me a bottle to feed Landon I was pretty nervous. I fed him for a few moments before trying to burp him. I've done it before with my Godsons, but not for a while, and Landon was not wanting to burp. I admitted I didn't know if I should keep trying or feed him a bit more.
I have an 18 month old daughter, but we've never had to deal with some of the most basic newborn issues, like burping (standard style!), umbilical cord care, etc.
My mind was put at ease somewhat tonight, when we observed Emma's reaction to the baby. Bear in mind she is scared of baby dolls! I didn't hold Landon until about 30 minutes after we got there, by which time Emma had observed the baby in the room. When he was passed to me she didn't even notice, much more inclined to sit on Gina's lap!
After a few minutes Emma came over to me and looked hard at the little person I was holding. I sat on the floor with him so she could get a closer look. Emma stayed back, but didn't back away as she does from dolls.
When she was on the sofa next to us she kneeled up next to me and started to stroke Landon's back! We were all watching and gave the appropriate "oohs" and "ahhs". She hung on me for a little while before getting bored and heading off somewhere else!
Having heard stories of children clinging fearfully to their mothers when they see them with other babies, it was great to know that Emma is handled it so well. I will continue to hope that she will be so loving toward her baby brother!!
1 comment:
Think about it this way...Many of us moms are terrified to think of how we would handle the day-to-day care of a baby with special needs. You did a great job learning all the different things you have had to do, and Emma is thriving thanks to your dedication and hard work. Your experience with this baby will be the same. You'll pick it all up in no time, don't worry!
Post a Comment