Saturday, May 16, 2009

Changes

This week was very different with Scott home much of the time. It will be quite an adjustment when he goes back to work, which will hopefully be at the beginning of June. We have been able to do things together that we have not had time for due to the amount of overtime he has been working.

The timing of this 'vacation' has been perfect. It is like God had been preparing us for it with lots of extra work, but also giving us lots of time as a family before the new baby comes and things go crazy again! Apparently there will be lots of work over the summer so we are at peace about the break Scott's getting now.

It will be good to have him home the rest of this month as I will need extra help. We said goodbye to one of Emma's 3 nurses this week. Unfortunately we came to a point after 6 months where we really felt uncomfortable having her in the house.

We really are very thankful for the nurses, after all they allow us to sleep at night like most other parents! However, having a stranger come into your house each night for 8 hours while you sleep is only positive if you fell comfortable with them. When they are late every day, so you don't know when you can go to bed, and also talking loudly on the phone in a room where a baby is trying to sleep, well you start to doubt there professionalism!

The other two nurses can not pick up all her days, so there may be a few nights this month where we are on duty overnight. Having Scott around will help me catch up on the missed sleep.

I have made a "honey do" list of things we need done around the house. Getting those little jobs done will be good and I won't have to panic when my nesting instinct really kicks in! Speaking of which, if anyone is looking for a queen size bed, night stands and dresser, we need to find a home for our guest room furniture! I posted it on craigslist but had no interest.

On Thursday I had a project at church so Scott stayed with Emma for her speech therapy appointment. Apparently she swallowed most of the food they gave her! Typical. Since then Scott has been feeding her as often as possible, and whenever she tries to get our food! He has way more patience than I, so I'm thankful for his help.

On Friday I went to the optician for a check-up and was pleased to find my prescription has not changed much. I guess overdoing it on the Nintendo DS without my glasses better explains the headaches!! I got some new glasses, which is just as well - Emma seems to wear mine more than I do! (Don't worry, I have a very mild prescription!)

Today Scott worked until 3pm and then offered to come to IKEA with me! I was very pleasantly surprised and suddenly had more energy. The three of us headed up there - I got an IKEA giftcard for my birthday and had been waiting for the chance to spend it!

Since I was taken to IKEA before my surprise party I really didn't see anything I hadn't already got, but I did see a couple of things for Emma and I get as much, if not more, pleasure from buying her things than myself. (I also prefer buying house things than clothes because my house doesn't make me look fat!!)

Firstly Scott showed Emma this stuffed puppy - risky really given that she is terrified of all stuffed animals (except minnie mouse!). Apparently though she hugged and kissed it right away. I tried to lure her with some other more fun animals, but she kept hugging the puppy. No question the toy was coming with us!


Then we passed by the chairs we have for the nurse in Emma's room and there was a baby chair. Unable to resist miniature things I had to sit her in it and she was very comfortable! Again, we just couldn't resist getting one for her, and I think she'll grow in to it!
I love you Mini-Me!!

No comments: