I'm really not sure who is more traumatized by vaccinations, the child or parent! Clearly the pain is very different but physical pain is more quickly forgotten, or at least that was the case with childbirth!!
Today Emma had her 18 month well visit, but the day did not start there. She was not having a good day from the get-go. After her breakfast she had lots of gas and threw up. Unfortunately for Scott, who I'd persuaded to get up with her!
Then after picking up my new glasses (which make everything look like HDTV!!) we stopped by Bed Bath and Beyond for a browse. Emma was in the shopping cart, which she normally likes, but on this occasion I happened to roll over a bump while she was chewing on the metal bar. I think she hit her teeth because she freaked out!
I picked her up and she calmed down after a bit. I couldn't carry her for long so I put her back in. She had a fit! Screaming and the bright red face that we only see when she is really mad. Rather than getting embarrassed I had to laugh. She never has tantrums so I found it amusing and ignored her until she calmed down a minute or two later.
By the time we hit the docs at 11am she was almost ready for nap time and fairly grumpy. I wasn't too worried since she has always been very agreeable with doctors. Apparently she has become wise to what is likely to happen there and agreeable she was not. Upset by just getting weighed (21lb 4oz, 28 3/4") she wouldn't let the doctor near her!
Thankfully Emma's pediatrician loves her and checked her over while she sat on my lap. By the end of the visit she let the pediatrician hold her and even gave her a big hug! Of course that was before the nurse came in with her DTaP shot! As I laid her down she eyed the tray and knew exactly what was happening. She flipped out, literally trying to roll over! The nurse got the shot in her thigh before she moved too far, and before I noticed. It was done!
(Mum tip: dress your child in stretchy pants or shorts so the leg can be rolled up for the shot and just rolled down after. Trying to dress a distressed baby is not fun!!)
Emma was also due for the MMR today but I pushed that off til her 2yr visit. No matter what the government says I feel there may be some truth in the theory that children are overloaded with shots these days. The autism and vaccine rates are higher here than in Europe, so I am especially suspicious.
By the time I got Emma to the car she was very quiet and subdued. I can't help but fear potential side effects of these shots, even if it may only be certain children with a genetic predisposition. Who knows which children they are!? Emma will see her neurologist again before she turns two, so I can get reassurance that she shows no signs of autism. But I'll never stop worrying, even with baby #2!
The pediatrician agreed that we can be referred to an orthopaedic specialist to look into Emma's uneven gait when she walks, which may be linked to the torticolis. The physical therapist thinks she might have developed in the womb with her hip rotated outwards and this is effecting her balance.
So many concerns and few certainties can make parenthood an emotional rollercoaster!!
There is no denying that Emma is very much an individual and ever-changing. She is going through a nude phase right now, where she likes to have her shirt, if not all her clothes, removed! Thankfully the house is pretty warm and she has not figured out how the diaper comes off. Here she is last night...

Today Emma had her 18 month well visit, but the day did not start there. She was not having a good day from the get-go. After her breakfast she had lots of gas and threw up. Unfortunately for Scott, who I'd persuaded to get up with her!
Then after picking up my new glasses (which make everything look like HDTV!!) we stopped by Bed Bath and Beyond for a browse. Emma was in the shopping cart, which she normally likes, but on this occasion I happened to roll over a bump while she was chewing on the metal bar. I think she hit her teeth because she freaked out!
I picked her up and she calmed down after a bit. I couldn't carry her for long so I put her back in. She had a fit! Screaming and the bright red face that we only see when she is really mad. Rather than getting embarrassed I had to laugh. She never has tantrums so I found it amusing and ignored her until she calmed down a minute or two later.
By the time we hit the docs at 11am she was almost ready for nap time and fairly grumpy. I wasn't too worried since she has always been very agreeable with doctors. Apparently she has become wise to what is likely to happen there and agreeable she was not. Upset by just getting weighed (21lb 4oz, 28 3/4") she wouldn't let the doctor near her!
Thankfully Emma's pediatrician loves her and checked her over while she sat on my lap. By the end of the visit she let the pediatrician hold her and even gave her a big hug! Of course that was before the nurse came in with her DTaP shot! As I laid her down she eyed the tray and knew exactly what was happening. She flipped out, literally trying to roll over! The nurse got the shot in her thigh before she moved too far, and before I noticed. It was done!
(Mum tip: dress your child in stretchy pants or shorts so the leg can be rolled up for the shot and just rolled down after. Trying to dress a distressed baby is not fun!!)
Emma was also due for the MMR today but I pushed that off til her 2yr visit. No matter what the government says I feel there may be some truth in the theory that children are overloaded with shots these days. The autism and vaccine rates are higher here than in Europe, so I am especially suspicious.
By the time I got Emma to the car she was very quiet and subdued. I can't help but fear potential side effects of these shots, even if it may only be certain children with a genetic predisposition. Who knows which children they are!? Emma will see her neurologist again before she turns two, so I can get reassurance that she shows no signs of autism. But I'll never stop worrying, even with baby #2!
The pediatrician agreed that we can be referred to an orthopaedic specialist to look into Emma's uneven gait when she walks, which may be linked to the torticolis. The physical therapist thinks she might have developed in the womb with her hip rotated outwards and this is effecting her balance.
So many concerns and few certainties can make parenthood an emotional rollercoaster!!
There is no denying that Emma is very much an individual and ever-changing. She is going through a nude phase right now, where she likes to have her shirt, if not all her clothes, removed! Thankfully the house is pretty warm and she has not figured out how the diaper comes off. Here she is last night...
No comments:
Post a Comment