Sunday, June 7, 2009

Reality check

Today started out pretty good, Emma slept in until 7.45 am after a late night last night and I chose an outfit for church without feeling fat or frustrated (major!).

Unfortunately my smooth ride hit a major pothole not much later. Scott and I drove to church seperately as he had to pick some stuff up beforehand. We get there very early, before even the ushers arrive! Emma and I were hanging out when she started to gag - a sure sign that she has gas. When it doesn't subside quickly it's kind of like the warning signs of a volcanic erruption!

I rushed over to my bag, scrambling for the syringe and tube to vent the air from her belly. I connected it and squeezed her belly, but not much came out - yet she was still gagging. As you might imagine it was a matter of seconds before she threw-up.

Emma doesn't have much velocity so it just runs down the side of her face, onto her hair and shoulder and then the church chairs. On this occasion it was alot and although it's just formula, so not particularly gross, it's not the easiest thing to clean up.

What you may not have picked up on is that while Emma's puking, I have to hold the syringe in one hand and somehow get something to soak up the mess!

It's not a situation I've found myself in lately and with Scott not there I was not sure where to turn. I looked around me hoping for someone to lend a hand - I even started calling "help" but no-one came.

I was frantic and grabbed the only thing I could, a handful of baby wipes. With one hand I tried to scoop up the mess from the chair, then clean up Emma.

I finally did the best I could and set her down on the floor while I ran to the bathroom to toss the wipes and flush the tube with water.

When I got back Emma was trying to crawl and was crying because the pretty dress I'd decided to put her in was too long and caught under her knees preventing her from moving. If I had any patience left it was hiding and I informed Emma that it was about time she got up and walked so her clothing would not be an issue. It fell on deaf ears!

The day didn't really get much better and ended with me smashing a bowl! I'm just trying to get through it without anyone getting hurt!

The episode at church has stuck with me all day. It was not a serious incident - I wasn't worried about Emma choking at all. Yet I realized that no matter how together I have everything much of the time there will always be those unexpected moments that circumstances take an unexpected turn and you need help. What was most upsetting for me was that no-one came to help me!

Maybe because it was church, or maybe because I understand that every trial in life has a lesson to learn I looked for more behind this. And here is what it taught me...

Many of us have it together. The major facets of life are running smoothly and we can handle the odd bump in the road without breaking stride. However, it is guaranteed (check the Bible!) that something you don't know how to handle or aren't prepared for will come up. And when it does you won't be able to handle it alone.

Many of us are confident that our family or friends will be there when we need them. Unfortunately, despite the best of intentions they can't guarantee that. Which leaves two options: you deal with it by yourself, alone or you can turn to God. Many people don't decide until they have too, and at that point God may not be the first person to come to mind.

I have been eternally thankful that I had turned to God before things got really hard. I don't know that I would have known how to when circumstances were clouding my mind. And I have relied on Him so much since. Unfortunately this morning, despite being in church, I was consumed with what was happening and not staying calm or keeping a sense of perspective.

Thank goodness God doesn't give up on us, even when we aren't listening to Him!

No comments: